What's everyone busy with now?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What's everyone busy with now?

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm pretty new to growing veg, so my big year will be next year. Right now I'm busy preparing my plans and the ground, what are you all busy with at the moment? Are you planting, preparing, etc? :flower:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's everyone busy with now?

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:24 am

Well, we're preparing a new veg. patch by getting rid of two old sheds and reducing the pond size by half. Of course, before I can do that I have to build a new shed. And before I can do that, I have to take down a rather dangerous-looking silver birch which is leaning precariously over the neighbour's children, because the new shed wil be in the way later. And to make the birch fall in the only safe direction, I have to take out three horrible Leylandii (I don't mind that one little bit). But before I can do that, I have to take down the old sheds, otherwise the falling trees will hit them. Then we won't have a shed. So before I can do that, I have to build the new shed to put all the stuff in from the old sheds. But before I can do that .....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :dontknow: :scratch: :scratch:

I'm going slightly mad ....

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:43 am

Rejigging flower beds and moving plants around and planting out shrubs and dividing things etc etc. The biggie is to dig up my two hydrangeas and move them to the shelter of the house wall as they just get frosted every year and I hardly ever get any flowers, :( whilst I see all these enormous lovely ones everywhere else...... but they are all growing up against stone walls!

So I'm a bit like Mike in that I can't redo this flower bed until I've moved that plant and I can't move that plant until I've moved this one and this that and the other (including planting loads of daffies) can't be done until the dahlias have been frosted and lifted, and so it goes on. :lol:

Oh and a bit of weeding in the veg patch where the chickweed has gone mad in my now over melon patchs. Pulled out all the strawberry runners and tidied up too - all of which has finally given me something green to put in the compost. It's hard when its so dry you don't need to mow and the weeds don't grow!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

thesunflowergal

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:50 am

I am hoping to rehome all of the plants in my raised bed, moving them into the other flower beds. Then I will have a huge area to grow more veg in next year. This year I had to make do with pots, and a small raised bed.
Slight problem in the fact that I can't lift anything heavy, dig much up etc :lol:, so I am waiting until Kai has a day off and I will get him to do most of it. While I make him some bacon sanwiches.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

grahamhobbs

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:16 am

If you are starting up its a good time to be preparing the soil, not to sticky and before the frosts.

We are clearing the summer crops, tomatoes, beans, pumpkins, etc and preparing to plant in the next week or so the winter crops, garlic, broad beans, peas, some more brassicas and winter lettuce.

Not much digging for us these days, most of the weeds have been eliminated, just small outcrops of couch and bindweed, and generally try to keep to no dig method. At this time of the year we are spending most of our time processing (bottling, etc) and storing the summer gluts or apples, tomatoes, beans, pumpkins, beetroot, etc.

Plans, we always have plans, plans to build another better shed, finish the fruit cage, build more raised beds, get the trellis up etc, etc. Time goes by........ but we eat well.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:54 am

We've been having a bit of an MKG moment (I'd say recently but to be honest it's been since we moved in).

There are so many jobs to do it's almost impossible to work back to where we need to start :lol:

So, we've built a shed and several garden chests, to take the contents of the old stable (not as grand as it sounds) to make a therapy room for my aromatherapy business.

Today, if the rain holds off we need to empty the stable in preparation for a man coming to cut a hole in the wall to make a door so we can have the current door blocked off by a humungous double-glazed window. Hopefully, most of it will go in the aforementioned chests and shed, or we may have several trips to the tip :(
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm busy lifting all the stuff I'm going to take with me & returning my 'allotment' garden to boring lawn :pale:

Still, this time next year I'll have a much bigger garden! :shock:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

wulf

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:23 pm

This afternoon I'm busy putting together a video of how I bake bread. That involves a number of short sessions illustrating the different stages... ten minutes and I can attend to the final "taking the bread out of the oven", which is always a satisfying moment.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Ha, the stable is now clear and ready for any men who want to come and cut holes or fit windows!

And it's been a lovely day :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:45 pm

MKG wrote:But before I can do that .....
Ah, Mike, I too know that feeling all too well.
wulf wrote:This afternoon I'm busy putting together a video of how I bake bread. That involves a number of short sessions illustrating the different stages... ten minutes and I can attend to the final "taking the bread out of the oven", which is always a satisfying moment.
That sound interesting, Wulf. Do we get to see this one day?

This weekend we've been clearing the back of the garden. We've literally never been to this part of the garden before. It's been a bit of a mini adventure discovering plants we didn't know we had. Go excited because we though we'd found a quince, but now I don't think it is. Did find a nice climbing rose and, rather less thrilling, a mound that looks like it could be dog's grave.

And we've also dug out a patch of land that seems to have been used a dump for old pot plants by the previous owners. Discovered it was full of builders rubble and filled two buckers and wheel barrow with lumps of concrete and bricks - all this in a 3 x 6 foot triangle. At least that's made some room for the contents of the compost bin. It going to be our rhubarb patch.
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

wulf

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Yes - I'll probably post it to one of the bread baking threads. I'm working on some editing now although, with dinner due at 7pm, it might not be until later this evening or tomorrow that I get it finished.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Squirrel46
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:23 pm

I've just acquired the half plot next to my half lottie, and its a mass of weeds just like mine was in June this year.
So I'm digging and weeding for next years potato crop. I've planted spring greens, spring onions and over-wintering red onions.
Getting there!
Never give a food animal a name, its not nice to eat a friend!

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:27 pm

sorting out my soil. onion and garlic sets. pruning the soft fruit bushes. trying to make fires and burn lots of brambles but not really succeeding!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:17 pm

mainly spinning and weaving, trying to make some family gifts for the coming season/next year - creating bonfires (for Samhain) and should be planting onions and garlic soon. Hoping to get one or two more tomatoes red before I have to strip them and freeze them as greenies
MKG wrote:-----------------------So before I can do that, I have to build the new shed to put all the stuff in from the old sheds. But before I can do that ..... :dontknow:
I recommend borrowing a small frame tent (or large ridge tent) of the older taller variety - plant that in your garden - use it as a shed - and start all the other stuff :wink:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:07 am

Its spring here in New Zealand and I'm busy creating new beds, planting out early crops seeding mains and generally cleaning up after winter.

oh and planning a new greenhouse, as running out of room for the seedlings for garden bus

:thumbright:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown