Moon planting query

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Moon planting query

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 am

Hi Everyone,
I have a question, can any of you very clever people help please.
We are trying our hand at moon planting this year for the first time. Using a lot of a cheat I have subscribed to a website that sends an email weekly telling me when and what to sow. But my query is do these times and plans correspond to planting in the ground or any sowings, most of mine are started in pots and trays, have I blown it all by putting them in pots first? do I plant them out when they are strong enough or by the calendar?
Any thoughts please
I'm a little confused

Becks :dontknow:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Clara

Re: Moon planting query

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:52 am

I would take the moon calendar as when you first plant the seeds - i.e. waxing moon for upper growth, waning moon for roots. Though of course it wouldn't hurt to transplant at these times too.

Cx
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

linzibean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:15 pm

I'm a little rusty on this, but I'm sure there are certain stages when things are best doen - so sew your seeds at one stage, then plant out at another, etc. Biodynamics was a big thing on a community garden I used to volunteer with, but sadly it went downhill when some members took their green fingers a little too far and were arrested for growing some rather more interesting plants!! I've heard a lot of sceptical people dismiss planting by the moon, but our garden was very successful. Good luck!
When I was young people called me a hippy. Now I'm a bit older I'm just called environmentally aware..... that's progress!

Clara

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:54 am

I was reading something last night that said to transplant during the root phase regardless of the plant.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner