Where can I get wellies that fit ? !

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
deborah
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Where can I get wellies that fit ? !

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:27 pm

Ok, try not to laugh, I've been trying to get some wellies that fit for several months now. I've tried them on in various shops, ordered from lots of online stores etc. They all have to be sent back

They are all so tight round my calves that I couldn't wear them for even a minute. I got the shorter versions and still have the same problem. And of course this is with bare legs, I wouldn't even be able to get them on if I had trousers on.

Now, if I was a large person I could understand this. But I'm not. I'm pretty much average size.

I don't know what else to try. Does anyone else have this problem ? And where the hell do I get ones that fit ?

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Where can I get wellies that fit ? !

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Would mid-length lace-up wellies give a little more room for maneouver I wonder?

BTW This won't be the only place you could get them, it's just where I had seen them.

I have some hunter midlengths, mainly because I have short legs but also because I fell in love with some that roses printed all over.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Join the club! I'm 5'2" and a size 4. Yet in order to get wellies that go over my calves, I have to have mens size 8s! And even then only maybe. If only I hadn't done so much skiing and cycling in my youth I'd have skinny calves! Instead I'm reduced to cutting the top half off my wellies so that I can get them on.

The alternative is relatively expensive but might be worth a look. Try http://www.amazon.co.uk/STORMWELL-WIDE- ... 205&sr=8-3 or http://www.cissburyleathers.co.uk/c.do? ... =22&page=2 (same people but the actual shop website). If you're trying to avoid buying anything new this won't help. But it's the only place I've seen that has wellies that might actually fit. They're in West Sussex for anyone in need and in the area, but they do sell by mail order.

hth
Lynne

deborah

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:19 pm

lsm1066 wrote:Join the club! I'm 5'2" and a size 4. Yet in order to get wellies that go over my calves, I have to have mens size 8s! And even then only maybe. If only I hadn't done so much skiing and cycling in my youth I'd have skinny calves! Instead I'm reduced to cutting the top half off my wellies so that I can get them on.

The alternative is relatively expensive but might be worth a look. Try http://www.amazon.co.uk/STORMWELL-WIDE- ... 205&sr=8-3 or http://www.cissburyleathers.co.uk/c.do? ... =22&page=2 (same people but the actual shop website). If you're trying to avoid buying anything new this won't help. But it's the only place I've seen that has wellies that might actually fit. They're in West Sussex for anyone in need and in the area, but they do sell by mail order.

hth
Lynne
The stormwells look ok, and they're under 20 quid. Saw some good ones on other sites (bright ones, I know it's not important but I would have liked bright wellies !) but they were 45 quid. :(

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:28 pm

deborah wrote:Ok, try not to laugh, I've been trying to get some wellies that fit for several months now. I've tried them on in various shops, ordered from lots of online stores etc. They all have to be sent back

They are all so tight round my calves that I couldn't wear them for even a minute. I got the shorter versions and still have the same problem. And of course this is with bare legs, I wouldn't even be able to get them on if I had trousers on.

Now, if I was a large person I could understand this. But I'm not. I'm pretty much average size.

I don't know what else to try. Does anyone else have this problem ? And where the hell do I get ones that fit ?
Im quite big built, and i spent months looking for a pair that fitted, as being a mountain biker, and working all the time, has made my calfs 20inches in diameter at the top, so i could even get into wellies.

i eventually found several pairs at my local farmers merchant, called aires, the staff wernt gone long, and came back with two pairs, the first one i tried on, is the ones i bort, there calle 'MUCKBOOT' wellingtons, and cost £60, well worth it i reckon

jenko

bodrighy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Must admit I have never owned a pair of wellies and never will. I use a pair of leather boots with loads of grease and fat on them to waterproof them. If I am likely to go in water that is too deep for them then plastic bags finally have a use.

Pete
Mistakes are serendipity in disguise

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk

complete catalogue Includes naff stuff as well

JulieSherris

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Ooohh... I LOVE my wellies!
I pop them on the morning & could keep 'em on all day long, they're so comfy.... altho I'm secretly hoping for a leak somewhere, so I can finally have a proper pair of muckboots :lol:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

theabsinthefairy

Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Oh I so know how you feel, I am a kiddies size 3 but can never get little wellies up over my calves, and adult ones are just the same.

I know I don't have HUGE calves, just the sort you get from digging, walking and riding! It took me 5 years to find a pair of riding boots and they were VERY pricey but worth it in the winter.

Anyway when it comes to wellies - I have admitted defeat and bought ankle lenth muckboots - which I can really recommend they are so durable and have lasted me years including the last two of full time renovation and farming! I wear them with waterproof gaiters to create that wellie effect!

Good luck searching

Monika
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:22 pm

Great question, and good to know I am in good company, the only pair of wellies I have been able to wear recently were a size 8 belonging to my future father in law (I am normally a size 5). (and that was for a panto :mrgreen: )

I do have a pair of ankle boots with a fleecy lining which lace up, they are comfy & warm, but a bit tricky to get on.

Can I ask what are 'muck boots'?

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:00 am

theabsinthefairy wrote:Oh I so know how you feel, I am a kiddies size 3 but can never get little wellies up over my calves, and adult ones are just the same.

I know I don't have HUGE calves, just the sort you get from digging, walking and riding! It took me 5 years to find a pair of riding boots and they were VERY pricey but worth it in the winter.
I have the same issue, size three and half feet but calves that would not get near to fitting in tall riding boots! I have to have jodhpur boots and half chaps.

as for wellies, my mum bought me some (purple with pink spots, bless her, not my colour) and they are a snug fit but thankfully wearable and very comfy, I'll just have to put up with the colour scheme!

theabsinthefairy

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Muck boots are boots generally referred to as horsey mucking out boots, that resemble jodphur boots but are usually made out of rubber. Their advantage over traditional wellie ankle boots is that they tend to be elasticated around the ankle so hold your foot better and thicker soled so warmer in the winter. Mine are from a company called the MuckBoot Co, but they are available everywhere including a lot of sports shops like Decathlon now, as well as mail / internet order.

Monika
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Blimey i didn't know there was such variability! I have a mens pair with steel toe caps that are far too big but get nice and cosy with extra thick socks - they can get a big heavy in sticky soil but at least I can't put my fork through my toes!

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Thank you for the info, Monika. Elasticated boots sounds like a good idea. I shall have to investigate all this further. Might come in useful one day. :bom:

ina

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:36 pm

For goodness' sake - you are not suppose to exercise your legs and grow muscles on them - legs are just for stepping onto the gas pedal - or did I get that wrong? :scratch:

I've not had that problem with wellies, wearing a size 8 anyway, and with my wide feet I need a men's size 8 - ladies' shoes don't do it for me. But I did once have a problem getting a pair of trousers (not jeans - I needed "decent" trousers) that my calves fitted into; the bum would fit, but the legs didn't - and anybody who's seen my bum knows that that's not exactly small! What do those "garment producers" use as models?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:40 pm

HI deborah,
I am big and have had terrible troubleven with so-called wide-top wellies. In the end I got some that were a bit big in the feet and just cut a v-shaped section out of the back of each welly top - not very elegant but comfortable and practical as long as you're not going to be up to your knees in mud (in which case you might need waders!).
Good luck,
Yvette