Fennel as a companion plant

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fennel as a companion plant

I heard recently you can use fennel at the end of rows to help prevent problems- ofcourse I instantly forgot which veg and what problems- does anyone know? :scratch:
Just Do It!

howie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Fennel as a companion plant

We have interplanted our fennel with carrots and it seems to have stopped the dreaded carrot fly this year. Only thing is, most of the fennel seems to have bolted despite having lots of water.
Psychological tale of love, music and self-sufficiency: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-is-the-Co ... 123&sr=1-1

Peggy Sue

They do say bolting is a problem, I'm going for the late planting to see if I can avoid that.

I guess for me the carrots have been interplanted with onions so I've steered clear of carrot fly so I'm wondering what the most sensible place to put my Fennel is. If it can be of companion use, great, if not then I'm not even sure which family it belongs to fro rotation! The books are a bit short on info for fennel.
Just Do It!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I always thought that fennel was a rubbish companion plant. About as good a companion as a rattlesnake in a bad mood. It inhibits growth, I planted some next to my beetroot one year and hardly any grew. I had a whole row of bronze fennel for 2 years and in that time hardly anything grew next to it.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Peggy Sue

ooh! Perhaps somewhere remote then!
Just Do It!

Cheezy

Fennels OK , but you have to be careful what you plant it with. Apparently Beans are a big no-no. Can't remember what it's oK with!.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli