Search found 46 matches

by fungi2bwith
Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:22 pm
Forum: Mushroom and Fungus Identification
Topic: identify me please :)
Replies: 13
Views: 2250

Re: identify me please :)

I suspect they are honey fungus though I am not sure from those pictures. Honey fungus is good to eat providing it is cooked though there have been some reports of gastric upsets. It is very reckless to eat things you haven't properly idenitified. Please don't eat unless you are sure.
by fungi2bwith
Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 pm
Forum: Wild Foods and Foraging
Topic: Is this Chicken of the Woods?
Replies: 9
Views: 1852

Re: Is this Chicken of the Woods?

It certainly looks like it
by fungi2bwith
Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 pm
Forum: Mushroom and Fungus Identification
Topic: Mushroom ID
Replies: 3
Views: 947

Re: Mushroom ID

This is a leccium of some kind, brown birch bolete or similar. The Lecciums can be difficult to ID exactly without further information (habitat, colour/bruising when cut etc). There are no poisonous lecciums. They are variable in taste, I tend to eat only the young firm brown birch boletes (and look...
by fungi2bwith
Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:05 pm
Forum: Wild Foods and Foraging
Topic: wild mushroom identification
Replies: 1
Views: 1524

Re: wild mushroom identification

looks like the prince mushroom (one of my favorite edibles). but need more info to be sure. The prince has white gills when just emerged, which turn pink and go brown when mature. They smell wonderful of marsipan to me (others report aniseed smell). Be sure of id before eating.
by fungi2bwith
Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:17 pm
Forum: Mushroom and Fungus Identification
Topic: more mushroom help please! (bolete)
Replies: 3
Views: 1325

Re: more mushroom help please! (bolete)

Of course, taste is subjective. Although there are undoubtedly better tasting mushrooms, I think small, firm, red cracking boletes are worth eating.
by fungi2bwith
Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:20 pm
Forum: Mushroom and Fungus Identification
Topic: more mushroom help please! (bolete)
Replies: 3
Views: 1325

Re: more mushroom help please! (bolete)

They look like red cracking boletes (boletus chrysenteron) to me.
by fungi2bwith
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 pm
Forum: Mushroom and Fungus Identification
Topic: found my first wood blewit! i think?
Replies: 3
Views: 1456

Re: found my first wood blewit! i think?

The look like wood blewits to me. Exactly the same as the ones I collected this lunchtime. I hope you enjoyed your ones.
by fungi2bwith
Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:44 pm
Forum: Wild Foods and Foraging
Topic: mushroom help
Replies: 7
Views: 1901

Re: mushroom help

Agreed, these look like Prince mushrooms to me. They taste great and smell wonderful. One of my favourite mushrooms.
by fungi2bwith
Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:51 pm
Forum: Mushroom and Fungus Identification
Topic: We will try to ID your mushrooms here
Replies: 149
Views: 139261

Re: We try will ID your mushrooms here

They are honey fungus. They are good to eat. The caps only are normally eaten as the stems are too firm and dry. They need to be well cooked (poisonous raw). There are some reports that they still cause mild poisoning even when cooked but there is unlikely to be a problem as they are sold in every m...
by fungi2bwith
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:50 pm
Forum: Wild Foods and Foraging
Topic: Mushroom ID help please!
Replies: 6
Views: 1013

Re: Mushroom ID help please!

These definately do not look like FRC to me. FRC have wider spaced gills, longer thinner stems. The location is also wrong. They also don't look like the clitocybes mentioned either. However, I can't positively identify without further checking.
by fungi2bwith
Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:35 am
Forum: Wild Foods and Foraging
Topic: Hello all & boletus edulis ???
Replies: 3
Views: 704

Re: Hello all & boletus edulis ???

I'm afraid it isn't boletus edulis. It is a Leccinum, probably a brown birch bolete. They are edible, but I only use them when young and firm.
by fungi2bwith
Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:38 am
Forum: Mushroom and Fungus Identification
Topic: Mushrooms in my garden
Replies: 2
Views: 1181

Re: Mushrooms in my garden

Although difficult to be sure from a picture, this is likely to be a common ink cap. If it is a common ink cap it is edible but not advisable because of adverse reactions when alcohol is consumed. Ink caps are also not good after the they turn black and inky as the one in the picture has started to ...
by fungi2bwith
Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:27 pm
Forum: Wild Foods and Foraging
Topic: Fishing for food, how,where,what?
Replies: 6
Views: 1251

Re: Fishing for food, how,where,what?

Hi all. Recently I've been interested in the idea of going fishing for my dinner. I've never done it before and have a few questions. Is it safe? I'm worried about eating anything wild in case it's polluted. What can you eat? Whats out there? I'm herts/beds border, what sort of thing can you find i...
by fungi2bwith
Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:27 pm
Forum: Wild Foods and Foraging
Topic: Pine Needle Tea
Replies: 10
Views: 1859

Re: Pine Needle Tea

A word of caution to anyone who might be reading this: Make sure your "pine tree" is really a pine before you go making tea from it! There's a tendency to lump all needled conifers together under the name of "pine", when it might be a spruce, a fir, a cedar, etc. There are some, such as yew, that a...
by fungi2bwith
Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:42 am
Forum: Mushroom and Fungus Identification
Topic: mushroom identification - possibly urgent
Replies: 9
Views: 2048

Re: mushroom identification - possibly urgent

This is a scarlet elf cup. It is suposedly edible (though fairly tasteless). This mushroom will not make you ill (although I suppose it is possible to have an allergic reaction to most things). Furthermore, just touching a mushroom won't poison you, the poisons are not easily absorbed through the sk...