Wild Service request for Roving UK Seed Collectors

Not the 1970s UK TV programme, but a free place for people to swap, give away or sell anything from seeds to tractors. Anything illegal or immoral will be deleted.
Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hedgehogpie has just shared with me a tree known as a WILD SERVICE TREE. Its botanic name is Sorbus Torminalis.

It is recorded as quite rare, so I am not sure how often it may be encountered while fruiting, but I would really like to try raising some seed.

As there are a few here who enjoy foraging and wandering through the forests, would you mind keeping an eye out for me and if possible collect, dry and send me some seed? I'd be happy to pay for your time and post.

Here is an ID link [/url] http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/service.htm [/url]and some pics to help with identification...

Leaves-

Fruiting -
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

2steps

I have been looking out for one here as I've been told the fruits are very nice but no luck yet :(

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

As i said on the thread, i live near Hatfield forest, and there's a few trees there that look like this one, so next time i take the dog there, i'll have a look around for it.

If i can find a fruiting one at some point, i'll grab a few berries and send some your way too.

Poke me in the future to remind me to look though, i have amemory like a colander!

Boots

Thanks Fee - That would be great.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Shirley

It's on my wishlist too - I'll keep my eyes open!!

Edited to add that having clicked on Boot's link I don't think it grows up here :(
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Shirlz (and other interested parties) this is a bit of a dry old document but there are some nuggets of info in there about Wild Service distribution and it's favoured geology that you might find useful. Don't give up hope, just because it's not common doesn't necessarily mean it can't grow where you are.

(Sorry it's a pdf :? )

http://www.bsbi.org.uk/Vol19p209.pdf

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

according to all the stuff i've read today (the stuff posted here), we have the perfect growing conditions - clay soil and light. So, i reckon there'll be a few in the forest, it'll just take a bit of looking (in the spring, when the trees have leaves again, and don#t all look like overgrown sticks!).

Hatfield Forest is a mediaeval hunting forest, so its old too, all the more chance of finding the tree. And, it gets coppiced regularly, so hopefully, it will have flourished!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

How do i identify a sucker?

Shirley

the.fee.fairy wrote:How do i identify a sucker?
That's a leading question :lol:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Shirley

Hedgehogpie wrote:Shirlz (and other interested parties) this is a bit of a dry old document but there are some nuggets of info in there about Wild Service distribution and it's favoured geology that you might find useful. Don't give up hope, just because it's not common doesn't necessarily mean it can't grow where you are.

(Sorry it's a pdf :? )

http://www.bsbi.org.uk/Vol19p209.pdf
Really interesting HHP - thank you. Sorry, I didn't notice this reply last time I checked this thread :oops:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

cazzie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi
I planted three of these trees in my exposed windbreak five years ago, they're as tough as old boots, to be honest, I haven't noticed whether they have fruited yet.
My young trees came from John Holliday near Ludlow in Shropshire, www.johnholliday.co.uk only collection from the nursery or local delivery tho. Other tree suppliers should be found on www.rhs.org.uk on the plantfinder section - there are currently sixteen suppliers doing mail order for this variety. Internet searches for seed comes up with www.agroforestry.co.uk but looking on the website it's a little "unfruitful" pardon the pun :wink:
Just noticed "boots" is in Australia :shock: www.starhillforest.com in Illinois USA is listed as stocking the seed. I have a few more American suppliers on my list if anyone needs more.
RARE OUESSANT SHEEP IN HEREFORDSHIRE

9ball
Living the good life
Living the good life

Fee.Fairy, you really are making me miss Hatfield forest, I used to live in that neck of the woods and went there regularly. Most of the woods round here are so new feeling and piney. I would have thought there would be a few Wild Service trees around Hatfield, memory serves that are a fair few pubs named the Chequers back in Essex, the name must have come from somewhere.

Karen_Grace
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi Fee Fairy
I would be interested in having some wild service tree berries too. I saw the tree on Ray Meers Wild Food show.
Karen

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

176 Sorbus domestica

Service tree, Checker tree. A medium tree from Southern & Eastern Europe, growing to 15 m (50 ft) high. Bears large crops of large (25 mm, 1") fruits which are edible bletted or cooked, with a an excellent rich flavour when fully ripe; the fruits are commercially used as a source of fruit juice. The timber makes good fuel and the bark is used for tanning. Likes sun or part shade; hardy to -20°C.

Stratification: CS17 Packet (17 seeds): £2.15

Cold stratify for 17 weeks (@~5'C)

https://secure.agroforestry.co.uk/seeds2003.html

Karen_Grace
Tom Good
Tom Good

OOOh
Looking at Hedghogpie's link, looks like there may be some trees by me in the old Arden Forest. If I can find where it was! Must be somewhere round Henley in Arden
Karen