What are you growing this year?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

cheap&cheerful wrote: The "old timers" used to make me laugh. They would have their veg on the allotment, but whatever they were going to enter in the show, oh no, that was grown at home under cloak and dagger. One chap used to show runner beans that were incredibly long and as straight as a die. They said in 30 years he had never divulged his secret..it will probably go with him to the grave!!

Jill.. :flower:
I love listening to old gardeners. I learnt most of what I do know about gardening from my grandad. He was a great gardener and worked until he was 84 in a local garden with his mate, between them their ages came to over 160! He grew lots of tomatoes, little gems, onions potatoes etc.

He had the most amazing shed, full of little racks of boxes full of seeds that he collected and every type of useful repair things, such as bits of string, screws, nails, old handbag straps, netting, you name it.

Sadly, he passed away last May at 87 but I think he'd be quite proud of my efforts in the garden.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Me too shiney.

I learned so much from the old timers up my allotment. You know you sort of go through phases. First your the new kid on the block, and you can almost see them taking bets to see how long you will last.

All our O.T's allotments were near each other. They'd worked their way up the allotment pecking order and had the best plots. Consequently they used to have one shed that had the brewing box in, primus, kettle etc etc. Outside there was THE BENCH where all the gardening guru's used to sit. The times I would approach THE BENCH with appropriate humble respect either to ask a question or show them something.

Then they become like tolerant grandads sharing their knowledge. Albert was "He who knew all" would say things in a broad Cornish accent " 'eeer maid, whaaat you neeed to do is". Coming from London I had to ask my mother-in-law why he called me a maid. Turns out it means girl, and being I was a fifty year old woman I didn't mind that at all.

I knew I was getting nearer THE BENCH when Albert instead of leaving the plot one way would go the route so that he passed the whole length my plot and would stop for a chat to offer advice. I suppose he'd seen so many come and go within a couple of weeks he didn't waste his breath until you'd been there a while.

My plot was nearest the gate and I'd had a trailer load of manure delivered. By the time I moved it around the plot the bed it had sat on was really rich and I planted some cabbages on it. And they were beauties..if I don't say so myself.

Well my proudest moment was when Albert and Ron, another member of the inner circle stopped to look at them and said to me " ' eeeer maid that's a right 'ansome bed of cabbages you've got there"

Well was I chuffed or what...I never did make it to THE BENCH, sadly the council did not renew the lease, but I reckon another FIVE years and I might just of been the first woman allowed on THE BENCH :cheers: :cheers:

Sorry if I've been rambling on, you'll soon learn I have a bad habit of doing that :oops: :oops:

I bet your grandad would be proud of you, not least because he would know how much hard work it is. Hence the O.T's bets to see how long people lasted (I bet there was a few bob changed hands outside that shed over the years).

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Cheap & Cheerful, I love your Bench story. Sadly I am still on the waiting list for an allotment myself, but I have a biggish garden and live in an area where my neighbours are mainly retired, and I am getting a lot of support and good advice, and free plants from them. I think that that generation in particular appreciate anyone that tries to do things for themselves and can do a day's work.

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Greenbean,

Before I had my allotment I used to make my garden an edible garden. It's amazing with a bit of judicial, lateral thinking how much veg you can get.

In fact my whole 3/4 acre plot in France is going to be edible. Even down to the flowers I have being edible ones like Marigolds and Nasturtiums.

Chard is great for color and Fennel foliage is so delicate. And Comfrey makes an excellent size shrub. You can even get these ornamental cabbages and things.

Personally I think you can even grow veg in the front garden, interspersed with a few Marigolds and Nasturtiums, and a lot of people would be none the wiser!

I even used to keep a few chickens in our old aviary.

The only exception to the rule will be my Jasmin, it has deep sentimental attachment for me.

Good grief I'm rambling again.... :oops: sorry

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Jill, I like your ethos, if you can't eat it has to at least smell good. I too like a useful garden, mine's coming on slowly but surely. So far I have harvested two lettuces and some half eaten radishes. I might give chard a try next. This is my first veg patch and it's so enjoyable. I have a couple of courgette plants out the front too! I've never eaten a marigold but if they taste as they smell I'm not sure I'd want to.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm the same, not really interested in growing "for look", rather for use. I have heard of marigold flowers being used to colour rice yellow, rather like saffron rice without the saffron. :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

It's pot marigold (the big'uns) which is edible, not French marigold (the little'uns)! French marigold is just useful for attracting blackfly!

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

I didn't know it was only the Pot Marigolds, I've got both sorts so I will plant the Frenchies down around the veggies and the Pot's around the house and herb garden.

Are the French ones poisonous?? :pale:

Because I'm thinking if they get covered in black fly I could just pick the heads off and feed them to the chickens. Might be our equivalent of caviar..not that I've ever eaten caviar..I've probably eaten more black fly riding on the back of a trike!

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ah...I have *loads* of Calendula (pot marigold) in my front garden - legacy of the previous owner. It selfseeds like there's no tomorrow! I planted nasturtiums - they're a dwarf variety but the ones over by the compost bin are...well...enormous! Maybe the compst is done....

The front garden I've been turning into an English Cottage Garden over the last year, and being the boring little geek I am I documented it as a computer programming project! I've a few more pictures to add to bring it up to date - not that I've many flowers yet still...it's all resolutely green, most unfair :( Wulf...can you spot where it is??? :) http://www.alcina.org/makeover

BTW...if anyone wants any Calendula seed this Autumn, let me know, you're more than welcome, I've plenty to spare!

Alcina

wulf

alcina wrote:Wulf...can you spot where it is??? :)
I thought I had an idea but it doesn't all quite fit in. If I think I spot it, I'll let you know. When you mentioned the marigolds all over the front garden I immediately thought of a house just a few doors up from me, which is entirely covered with them! However, that's definitely not it.

BTW, I'm turning into a nasturtium fan myself. Out of the three types of flower I planted this year (along with Ipomea 'morning glory' and tagetes) they're the ones that are doing best (although the tagetes are looking healthy and are now starting to bud).

Wulf

Millymollymandy

Love your piccies, Alcina! That looked like a lot of hard work - have you finished the path yet?! :mrgreen:

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Millymollymandy wrote:have you finished the path yet?!:mrgreen:
Coughnocough! :?

I am wracked with guilt - there's a huge part of me that now wants to dump the rubble and buy in proper path stuff...and there's another part of me that is horrified at my wastefulness and general un-greenness and in the meantime the path doesn't get finished. :(

Sigh....so much work, so little energy....

Alcina

2steps

we moved house last year and I haven't had much time to get the garden ready so only have a small plot this year, mainly in containers. Still, I have potatoes, carrots, mini sweetcorn, mini caulflower, herbs, strawberries, runnerbeans, pumkins and hanging basket tomatoes. I am trying cucumbers for the first time.

All my containers but one are from rubbish - Have an old suitcase bottom, 2 old drawers and the drum from our old washing machine

Millymollymandy

That sounds like fun and I think you should post photos!!!

2steps

Thanks. I'll do taht later. Should I just post them inthe forum or just links to them?