Cold winds of winter have arrived

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

Cold winds of winter have arrived

We had a decent whack of rain overnight and a bit of wind, but come lunchtime and the winter wind came storming over the hill.

The prevailing winds here are from the north-west but there's a vast difference between the summer and the winter.

And today's is definitely the first of winter - bitingly cold, lashing the trees, and strong enough to lift the Wee 'Un off his feet and blow him three feet away. I think I'll have to tie a rope to him and attach it to an anchor! :mrgreen:

We've just come in for a cuppa and a spicy snap biscuit in front of the fire. Lovely.
Last edited by Stonehead on Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shiney

It was certainly gusty here in the south west this morning and the temperature has dropped significantly. PJ's and hot water bottles for me soon! What a whimp. :oops:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Martin

shirtsleeves job in Sussex - blue sky, current outdoor temperature 64 degrees! :geek:
Last edited by Martin on Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Shirley

I was just about to post about the weather.... it's definitely winter out there this afternoon - it looks like it's sleeting at the moment!!!! Our chimney is out of action so no open fire to huddle next to... have to have the heating on for a bit instead.

We had a small powercut this afternoon, so I've got the candles and matches handy just in case.

We really need to organise a generator - we will be stuffed if the power goes down at the moment... the heating needs it... the water needs it... heck, the computer needs it lol...
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

shiney

Well saying that my 6 year old is out on his scooter with shorts and a teeshirt on!

I am afraid I just feel the cold.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Merry

It`s been a blustery, sunny day here. Good for kites and washing :lol:

red

yeh sunny here today - though it was winter yesterday...

today saw a humming bird hawk moth, and a red admiral butterfly - still picking courgettes...... daft...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Stonehead

Shirlz2005 wrote:We had a small powercut this afternoon, so I've got the candles and matches handy just in case.

We really need to organise a generator - we will be stuffed if the power goes down at the moment... the heating needs it... the water needs it... heck, the computer needs it lol...
It can take three days to get the power back on and three weeks to get the phone back - that's been our experience.

The electricity was understandable as it was the middle of winter, gales for days, blizzards, and bitterly cold with outages everywhere.

But BT? They told us we should accept delays because we live in the country. Getting the press and assorted politicians on their tail soon sorted that. :cooldude:
Last edited by Stonehead on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shirley

A few years back we were without power for about a week... I can't remember about the phone line.. I think it was down for a bit but it wasn't so much of a problem to me back then.... yes I used the internet, but it wasn't a big deal if it went off for a bit...

Isn't it amazing how differently BT or other companies change their tune when threatened with the press and mps etc. We had big problems with our broadband... eventually, after much fuss from David, we got it sorted and had a refund of the full amount that we'd paid. He involved the Scottish Executive and MP and various others.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

2steps

poured all day yesterday :( but today has been nice though the wind is a bit strong and chilly

Stonehead

Wind has just picked up again, so we had to go out and do the rounds again. It's bitterly cold, hailing and the winds are strong enough to knock me over in the most exposed spots.

The chicken huts and pig arcs are still with us (for now), but it's going to be an interesting night.

I'm shutting all the electrical stuff down now, so this is it until tomorrow (hopefully).

Shirley

Good night Stoney - tempted to do the same after yet another powercut here... got the candles lit now after being plunged into almost darkness!!
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

chadspad

Was 75° in the garden today - I can handle that at the end of Oct! :lol:
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

monkeynuts
Tom Good
Tom Good

My leccy is still on (flickering a bit though) but the wind!! and we live atop o' the hill....need I say more :roll:
xxx Mrs G xxx
Neeps The friendly forum

Shirley

Hi MN

It's calming down here now... THANKFULLY!!!
Shirley

My photos on Flickr