Brussels sprouts apology

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brussels sprouts apology

Over here we are having a supermarket war on fresh vegetables, with Lidl winning so far with sprouts at 10c per kilo. At that price we had to buy some, even though I have loads of them in the garden, and I have to say they were a major disappointment.
They were distinctly bitter and I can't fathom why that would be. I grow the most popular (and presumably commercial) F1 variety and always have done, and my sprouts are always sweet and never bitter.
In the past I may have made some rather disparaging remarks aimed at those that mentioned that they hate sprouts because they are disgustingly bitter, so to those members I must apologise, even including that young lady who lives at the top end of Scotland :shock:

Mind you, if you grew your own ........ :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Brussels sprouts apology

I am going to be growing my own next year now we have settled in. This year we will have to have frozen as our Lidl doesn't stock fresh. :( They are one of my favourite veg.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have never experienced bitter sprouts, only been growing my own since we moved to Ireland as I didn't have garden space for long term things like that before. I always bought mine from the organic farm shop or Waitrose and they were very nice. I just googled bitter sprouts and read that a response to stress by sprouts ie not enough water or cool weather could make them bitter, or being stored badly causing them to lose moisture could be a factor.

I really like Rubine, the red ones and have grown half tall as I thought they would stand up better to the atlantic gusts we get here and they have been really nice and tender especially when halved, cooked in butter with bacon and a grating of nutmeg. I hope to get better at growing them, any recommendations for other good varieties to grow :santa:

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have always found sprouts to be bitter, whether frozen, fresh, organic or whatever, and avoided eating them as much as possible, until someone said to put a teaspoon of sugar in , when cooking them. now I love them, maybe I´ll try growing some and see if can get them to be non-bitter. I thought that was just the way they came!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Apology accepted. :tongue: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

I am bitter because i can't grow decent sprouts
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Millymollymandy

:santa: Glad you got to experience what revolting bitter sprouts are really like! :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote::santa: Glad you got to experience what revolting bitter sprouts are really like! :iconbiggrin:
I'm glad I only bought a kilo, and I can say with hand on heart that those sprouts will be the last I buy. :pukeleft: :lol:
I do pity people who have no idea what a home grown, freshly picked sprout tastes like.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Millymollymandy

You will have to send us one each, at least to Maggie and me. :-)
I do believe you, you know!

Not that I can grow them here as I guess you have to start earlyish in the year and I don't sow my brassicas (kale and PSB) until July to be planted out mid August after the worst of the flea beetles have gone. I can then enjoy some rocket and radishes too.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/