why am I always so tired?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

why am I always so tired?

If they gave out gold medals for sleeping.well I´d have won no probs the last few months!

I´ve been having difficulties getting a good night´s sleep for a while, so got some tablets from dr, so for a week or so now, have had decent uninterrupted 8hrs or so each night,..but still feel as tired.

well the thing is I dont actually feel tired , as such, all the time.... It just suddenly hits me, and I have to lie down and sleep, or I´d probably fall over where I stand!

It does seem to be worse after eating, but I´m not having large 5 course meals.. just a sandwich, or bowl of cereal is enough to make me want to have an extended siesta !

Am going for blood tests tomorrow ( general full blood tests ) but anyone have any thouhts / ideas, whta I should perhaps
look for, getthe Drto look for, if nothing specific shows up?

locum76
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 56 1538.47
longitude: 3 1337.98

Re: why am I always so tired?

Edited out because I'm not clever enough to give out advice on health.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Sounds like carb overload - does the same thing happen if you have just meat/fish and veg (without spuds/rice or pasta). Are you very thirsty/peeing excessively? If that's the case it might be worth another trip to the doc's for a blood sugar test.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Do you know why you were struggling to sleep? Is it every single meal or is there a different pattern? Have you tried to have more smaller meals throughout the day? There are a few things it could be, I won't list them all but it could be as simple as the lack of sleep and your body is just trying to catch up. Don't forget that although you may be getting a full 8 hours, the medication isn't giving you the same quality of sleep as natural sleep.

Your doctor should be testing full blood count, sugar levels, thyroid, liver. I'm sure they know what they're doing so don't worry too much about it in the mean time. Just try to avoid quick release carbohydrates and stick to wholegrain foods.

Geebogs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

When you say for a while, how long?
Have you been ill with anything recently?

My wife acquired Chronic fatigue Syndrome after a bout of glandular fever, originally the docs tested for thyroid problems but nothing showed up. Although it doesn't manifest itself in sleeplessness or after meals (as far as I know), she would often go for a nap, absolutely not being able to stop herself, and feel no better for it afterwards.

Probably not what is going on with you, but I thought it worth a mention.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura wrote:Sounds like carb overload - does the same thing happen if you have just meat/fish and veg (without spuds/rice or pasta). Are you very thirsty/peeing excessively? If that's the case it might be worth another trip to the doc's for a blood sugar test.
anything´s possible........ so will try and cut down on carbs, but dont think i´m eating that many, or ay more than usual.
Not overly thirsty...... . as would expect now that warm weather here, so greater consumption of water.
chickenchargrill wrote:Do you know why you were struggling to sleep? Is it every single meal or is there a different pattern? Have you tried to have more smaller meals throughout the day? There are a few things it could be, I won't list them all but it could be as simple as the lack of sleep and your body is just trying to catch up. Don't forget that although you may be getting a full 8 hours, the medication isn't giving you the same quality of sleep as natural sleep.

Your doctor should be testing full blood count, sugar levels, thyroid, liver. I'm sure they know what they're doing so don't worry too much about it in the mean time. Just try to avoid quick release carbohydrates and stick to wholegrain foods.
never been able to just go to bed, turn light off and sleep..... NEVER..
so have always read, done a xword etc... , but of late just keep waking up , having bad dreams. so cant get back to sleep.

as for food, just about anything will do it.. even small snacks. its got to the point , I wont eat until really feel hungry, then basically 1 meal a day.so if I have to sleep, its , not every few hours!

at least with the tablets I am getting sleep, and better than without. I am feeling more rested whn I get up

Geebogs wrote:When you say for a while, how long?
Have you been ill with anything recently?

My wife acquired Chronic fatigue Syndrome after a bout of glandular fever, originally the docs tested for thyroid problems but nothing showed up. Although it doesn't manifest itself in sleeplessness or after meals (as far as I know), she would often go for a nap, absolutely not being able to stop herself, and feel no better for it afterwards.

Probably not what is going on with you, but I thought it worth a mention.
Havent kept a diary. btu it´s been a few months, of not sleeping well, but the "tiredness" is more recent, and getting worse.

Not been specifically ill, a chest infection overwinter, some (long term) depression problems.

Over the years, I´ve had my thyroid tested numerous times, as the main suspect. always came back ok........ BUT. having read a few articles, I think itmay be ioon the underactive side, but the test results are always within the normal acceptable range! ( albeit on the low side!)

I was also tested for glandular fever some yearsago, but Dr reckoned the test was done too late.

That was for tiredness too, as were some of thyroid tests, but Ialthough Ive had this tiredness problem , on and off for many years, never before has it been like this, were I literally have to go and lie down, before I fall asleep standing up!

I cant detect any pattern as such, maybe Ill start a diary, see if that reveals any pattern. often after meals. Obviously after a big Sunday dinner with alcohol, etc.would be normal, but dont do big Sunday dinners, and dont drink alcohol! ( well very very rarely) I´d hoped a few days with the tablets would help, but although I do feel better in many ways, the sudden "need " to sleep is pretty much the same, and it is getting to be a problem, as I have lots of projcts to do, that I darent start, in cse it hits me half way though! cant exactly leave power tools on, or plumbing half done!

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and one of the symptoms is extreme tiredness. It also causes low blood pressure - which makes me feel really weary after a big meal!

redglass

niknik wrote:If they gave out gold medals for sleeping.well I´d have won no probs the last few months!

I´ve been having difficulties getting a good night´s sleep for a while, so got some tablets from dr, so for a week or so now, have had decent uninterrupted 8hrs or so each night,..but still feel as tired.

well the thing is I dont actually feel tired , as such, all the time.... It just suddenly hits me, and I have to lie down and sleep, or I´d probably fall over where I stand!

It does seem to be worse after eating, but I´m not having large 5 course meals.. just a sandwich, or bowl of cereal is enough to make me want to have an extended siesta !

Am going for blood tests tomorrow ( general full blood tests ) but anyone have any thouhts / ideas, whta I should perhaps
look for, getthe Drto look for, if nothing specific shows up?
Niknik, you don't say how old you are, or what sex you are. If you're an older woman, approaching menopause can bring what's charmingly known as 'crashing fatigue'...it also interferes with sleep patterns, so a double whammy. And it's worse after eating, just because that's a time when many people feel a bit sleepy. Also worth considering: anaemia, gas leaks in the house, not enough ventilation in the house, too much noise, too much light coming through bedroom windows at night, alcohol (even in moderate amounts) before sleep - a nightcap for some but for others just wrecks the normal sleeping pattern - overexciting the system before sleep with thrilling telly programmes or late-night gym sessions.... Good luck, I hope you find the solution!

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

niknik wrote: Not overly thirsty...... . as would expect now that warm weather here, so greater consumption of water.
Just a suggestion (but it did work for me): try upping your consumption of water even if you don't feel thirsty. It is astounding how even mild dehydration can cause extreme feelings of tiredness, particularly if one is doing any kind of manual work.

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

A bit far-fetched, perhaps, but as it was recently in the news because it was associated with the swine flue vaccination I had to think of this: "Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder, or dyssomnia, characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness in which a person experiences extreme fatigue and possibly falls asleep at inappropriate times, such as while at work or at school. Narcoleptics usually experience disturbed nocturnal sleep and an abnormal daytime sleep pattern, which is often confused with insomnia."

Whatever it is, I hope you'll get better soon.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

redglass wrote: Niknik, you don't say how old you are, or what sex you are. If you're an older woman, approaching menopause can bring what's charmingly known as 'crashing fatigue'...it also interferes with sleep patterns, so a double whammy. And it's worse after eating, just because that's a time when many people feel a bit sleepy. Also worth considering: anaemia, gas leaks in the house, not enough ventilation in the house, too much noise, too much light coming through bedroom windows at night, alcohol (even in moderate amounts) before sleep - a nightcap for some but for others just wrecks the normal sleeping pattern - overexciting the system before sleep with thrilling telly programmes or late-night gym sessions.... Good luck, I hope you find the solution!

Older female... . not approaching menopause, but past it or going through it. I dont know..how long does it last?

Anaemia, should be part of blood tests....., but
gas leaks.... i dont think so, but even if there was one. ( bottled gas,) it should be seeping out down through areas tha are unused/ rarely visited. Lack of ventilation...... not a chance. old house, loads of draughts, adn I also tend to open balcony doors of evening to enjoy views, cooler air.

Noise definitely NOT a problem!, in fact when we first moved here, we all had some problems sleping as it was SOOOOO quiet afterthe big city!

alcohol......... NO...... dont drink anymore

The light issues, could be part of it, as I do fall asleep with light ON...

but having been for many years a shift worker, I got used to sleeping under any conditions!

Certainly no late night gym sessions! I do take the dog pout for nice long walk most evenings ( 8pm ish) butwould think thtas too earlyto affet anything!. I started late walks when it was colder, as it seemed to help warm me and keep me wramer till bedtime!. now its better to avoid the hotter times of day!

The Riff-Raff Element wrote: Just a suggestion (but it did work for me): try upping your consumption of water even if you don't feel thirsty. It is astounding how even mild dehydration can cause extreme feelings of tiredness, particularly if one is doing any kind of manual work.
I´ll try that. any suggestions requantities? .. but drink lotas it is ( water/ herbal teas m<ainly)

and maybe move bedinto bathroom :iconbiggrin:
Jandra wrote:A bit far-fetched, perhaps, but as it was recently in the news because it was associated with the swine flue vaccination I had to think of this: "Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder, or dyssomnia, characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness in which a person experiences extreme fatigue and possibly falls asleep at inappropriate times, such as while at work or at school. Narcoleptics usually experience disturbed nocturnal sleep and an abnormal daytime sleep pattern, which is often confused with insomnia."

Whatever it is, I hope you'll get better soon.
sounds dire.. but I´d better look into that!

Bloods were taken yesterday, so results, in a wek....... will finda suitable time to visitDr8 Not easy as go to one 2 villages away ( about 15km and no car!) ..

I have every faith in Health service here, but as anywhere, I think it sometimes helps, to have some inklings oneself, to help them!

I am feeling slightly better, now Ive got some help for night time. but although feeling more rested in the mornings, Im still getting the same suden urge / need to sleep, so the restless nights, weren´t/ aren´t the main culprit!

The Riff-Raff Element

Niknik - I drink about 2.5 litres per day in summer plus tea / coffee, the odd juice and the occasional glass of wine. Keeps the kidneys occoupied!

happyhippy

Niknik I'm going through menopause at the mo,and I had been feeling excessively tired.I went from having the energy of a 20 yr old to feeling like an woman of 100 pretty much overnight!!!Anyway I did some research and spoke to a naturopath.For the last 3 mths I've been on Biotin(1000 mg),omega 3 capsules,and a good multi vitamin(even though I do eat a very healthy balanced diet)Wow what a difference it made!I feel 100% better.I'm sleeping much better(I had kept waking up at 4am)and I have so much more energy,just feel back to my normal self really.It worked for me anyway.Best of luck xx