periwinkle

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

periwinkle

I was out for a walk the other day, near my sister's house, and have taken it upon myself to forage for cuttings of nice looking plants :flower:

There was a lot of ground cover green plant with the occasional very pretty blue flower. So I snaffled a couple of short lengths, just a few inches (it came up, roots attached, as ground elder does)

I've done an online search and it seems to be a periwinkle... we don't have any near us, it was a new one on me.

Soooooo..... would it be a mistake to introduce a new creeping groundcover 'weed' to rival bindweed and ground elder? or is it a case of might as well'

I read that it is often used as a pretty groundcover in gardens.... and I do like the flowers.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: periwinkle

I've got loads of it Annpan, I love it, especially in the shady bits where nothing else grows.

It isn't as voracious as bindweed, and if it grows somewhere you don't want it, just rip it up.

I say it is a goer.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Absolutely - periwinkle's gorgeous. It also one of those plants which will happily spread, but an annual spade-in around its borders easily keeps it in check - it isn't "invasive" as such, more "given half a chance I'll keep you lots of company". We have a few clumps of it, and a couple of hours a year means that they stay as a few clumps. No big problem.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Woopee!!!

free pretty plants :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop