I've got seedlings!

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've got seedlings!

OK, so I know just about everyone else grows their own veg and it isn't really that big a deal! :lol: But last year, none of my tomato or chilli seeds germinated (first attempt to grow veg), so I took a couple of plants from a friend with a nursery and made do with those. Felt a bit like cheating though and I didn't really feel like I had grown anything.

This year, I read more, planned more, bought all the right gear (not very 'ish' but am hoping it will last me for some time) - and I have 3 cucumber seedlings and 23 tomato seedlings. I've also sown chilli & aubergine and have spring onion, rocket, lettuce, courgette and seed potatoes to go into a raised bed that I am preparing this weekend. Only 2 of us and I'm not sure what I am going to do with 23 tomato plants, but I guess I have to keep them alive first!

Anyway, a little thing really, but I'm really chuffed! :mrgreen:
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: I've got seedlings!

Wow, brilliant, look forward to transplanting, look forward to salads and chutney...yum!
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

:wav:

Well done :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

23 tomato plants huh.... ketchup, ragu and chutney :flower: :flower: :flower:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Good for you! :cooldude:

It's so exciting to see those seedlings growing... I hope that your tomatoes do well
Smile :)

Chicken6
Tom Good
Tom Good

I get excited every year the seedlings appear :oops:

bodrighy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Two yars ago we went on holiday for a fortnight and when we came back we couldn't get into the greenhouse as the tomatoes had gone ballistic. We hadn't taken any shoots off before we went and we ended up with bowls of tomatoes red and gren in the kitche. They went into just about everything we cooked. Still had loads left for chutney, green & red

Pete
Mistakes are serendipity in disguise

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk

complete catalogue Includes naff stuff as well

Rosendula

Uller wrote:OK, so I know just about everyone else grows their own veg and it isn't really that big a deal! ....
You kidding? It's a massive deal. It doesn't matter how many years or even decades you've been sowing seeds, when they first show signs of life your heart leaps and you walk around with a stupid grin on your face for the rest of the day.

Only 2 of us and I'm not sure what I am going to do with 23 tomato plants, but I guess I have to keep them alive first!

:mrgreen:
Look up the recipes on Red's website. Her roasted tomato sauce is yummy and seems to freeze well. You can also bottle tomatoes, make soups, pasta sauces, ketchups, dips... all sorts. The recipes are endless and because tomatoes work so well with herbs, cheese and other things, it's impossible to get bored of them. Well, that's my opinion anyway. :thumbleft:
Rosey xx

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Germination = great!

Start saving jars (and have family save jars), hope for blight to stay away and when you harvest your estimated (23x40) tomatoes: can, can, can (YES, you CAN :lol: ).

I've just finished my last jar of canned tomatoes, so now it's back to shop-bought...

Good luck, Jandra

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thank you everyone! I've got 9 aubergine seedlings now and I think I can see the beginnings of a chilli.

Really look forward to the tomatoes and the opportunity to preserve some - I got a huge amount from one plant last year and my dad doesn't want to grow any on his allotment, so hopefully I can share some with him to repay him for all the leeks, courgettes, potatoes etc etc that he has given me!
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

buggalugs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Uller thats fantastic :cheers: WTG you!!!I know I will be the same if mine come up :) Aubergines too now, my goodness :lol: Good luck with everything
Jacqui

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Uller,

I've been gardening for over 40 years but I STILL feel wonderful at the sight of my first seedlings each year.

If you don't want to grow on all of your plants, could you swap them? (Where are you?)

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Rosendula

Two doors up from my house there's a very elderly couple. The bloke used to grow veg, but his failing health is very limiting. However he still grows annual flowers from seed in his greenhouse. Every morning he goes out to open the greenhouse window and have a look at his pots. Every evening he goes out to close the window and have another look at the pots. This morning after he'd had a look, when he came out, I'm sure I could see a slight smile on his face. :profileright: It's wonderful to see someone still getting pleasure from new life at such a late stage in his own. :flower:
Rosey xx

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It's a brilliant feeling!

Still makes me feel wonderful - oncoming spring, getting out gardening, cooking with stuff you've just picked, preserving and making wine from them - and all from those tiny little shoots that are starting to crop up. YAY!!! :thumbleft:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin