Redbush: natural eco friendly slug and snail deterrant

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
pouch
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Redbush: natural eco friendly slug and snail deterrant

my mum has just bought me some of this for my birthday (yes I like things like this as presents, I am easily pleased), she heard about it on radio 2!

http://finenaturalsltd.com

I wont know how effective it is until next spring when the slugs and snails start attacking my seedlings and plants in earnest.

has anyone tried this and have any feedback on the product??

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Redbush: natural eco friendly slug and snail deterrant

Sorry, I haven't tried it. I was cutting OH's hair this afternoon, though, when I remembered something that may interest you. On a previous occasion when I cut his hair I had some very young brassica seedlings peeping through. I haven't been very successful with brassicas because it seems my garden is a natural slug farm, and that includes on the shelves in the greenhouse. However, when my last lot of calabrese were babies I put some hair trimmings on the top of the compost, and they have hardly been touched and are sprouting nicely in there. :mrgreen: Now it could be that, or the fact that I was adopted by a frog, but it's something I will definitely try again.
Rosey xx

pouch

I've heard other people say that hair clippings are good, anything to dry the slugs up!

I never have any luck with egg shells, doesn't seem to stop them at all.

you might be right about the frog. The first year we moved into this house the people next door had two ponds, they had so many frogs, you could hear them croaking when you sat in the garden. This year, they had their front garden paved, removing the biggest pond. I haven't heard half as many frogs, in fact, I saw one poor frog in the front garden last spring looking for the pond. I had more problems with slugs this year, I lost so many plants. I don't know if it's the damp weather we had in the summer, or the fact the frogs have lost somewhere to live next door!

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Does anyone know if dog hair has the same effect? I will try it this year as all the slugs & snails in Leicester come to our garden to feed!

We have two ponds, both full of frogs & that certainly helps. I'm considering digging a small one in the polytunnel too.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!