anyone know these mushrooms

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

anyone know these mushrooms

i found these by the side of the loch i was fishing today. there was alot of them. they were growing near what i think are birch trees. these are big mushrooms. they are on average 6 inches across the cap. wonder if there edible

jim
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (141.22 KiB) Viewed 2358 times

Plotter
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: anyone know these mushrooms

I replied on your other thread, but these look very like an Amanita species to me, which includes some very poisonous varieties, I would leave well alone.

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

thanks plotter. they didnt look edible to me. but nice to know there strain. cheers. see you later...jim

Geoff
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

cruixman wrote:thanks plotter. they didnt look edible to me. but nice to know there strain. cheers. see you later...jim
These are almost certainly Amanita rubescens, otherwise known as "The Blusher". This Amanita is edible (and good when younger than these ones), but only edible after first boiling and throwing away the water, then frying. However, Plotter's comment that inexperienced foragers should steer clear of this species is sound advice. The consequences of getting this one a bit wrong are serious.