Winter dinners are here again

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

Re: Winter dinners are here again

Odsox wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:And all the hunters out yahooing and constant rifle shots disturbing our peace and quiet and barking dogs and parping horns..... worrying about my ducks and chooks and cat all the time, not to mention people's horses and livestock. And then the farmers/hunters cut down all the trees or at least all their side branches and make the landscape look horrendous, and when the sound of the hunting has stopped about end of January it's chain saw city round here so no peace for the wicked then either. Yet we are not allowed to make any noise on a Sunday by mowing or using power tools ourselves! :roll: :banghead:
Well that has to be self inflicted cos you're living in the wrong country :iconbiggrin:

That's another one of the things I like about winter ... all the Bla$ted tourist have gone home and left us with peace and quiet, and no more worries about driving round a bend and finding one of your neighbours coming at you on the wrong side of the road :angryfire:
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

I just made a mustard, sausage and apple tart with seasonal vegetable rosties, followed by apple sauce and custard - yummy and totally wintry! :mrgreen:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Millymollymandy

Did you forget to comment, M&B? :lol:

I had the last of my sweetcorn last night boo hoo, such a short season and it all comes at once! The chooks are really happy cos they've had a cob between them every day this last week and have got about 8 more (the tough chewy ones).

I can't cook any winter dinners cos the only veg I've got to go with them is lettuce and lots of other salady things. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:I can't cook any winter dinners cos the only veg I've got to go with them is lettuce and lots of other salady things. :lol:
Poor you, I only like salady things in sandwiches ... salads are not a fit thing to keep body and soul together in winter.

I can count myself lucky that I can choose from parsnips, turnips, carrots, beetroot, celeriac, sprouts and savoy cabbage, plus a sweet jar full of dried borlotto beans.

Tonight we are having roast potatoes and roast beetroot with our pork chops, unfortunately it's with runner beans ... for the umpteenth day running. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Mmm, we had aubergine bake and spicy potato wedges - definitely cold weather grub. And by crikey do we need it up here!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

Odsox wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:I can't cook any winter dinners cos the only veg I've got to go with them is lettuce and lots of other salady things. :lol:
Poor you, I only like salady things in sandwiches ... salads are not a fit thing to keep body and soul together in winter.

I can count myself lucky that I can choose from parsnips, turnips, carrots, beetroot, celeriac, sprouts and savoy cabbage, plus a sweet jar full of dried borlotto beans.

Tonight we are having roast potatoes and roast beetroot with our pork chops, unfortunately it's with runner beans ... for the umpteenth day running. :lol:
No, not poor me :roll: it's still summer here and very dry again and back to mains water to water everything...... so obviously we are eating salad galore and my first radishes are just edible and still waiting on the rocket to be big enough to pick (cos of the flea beetle problem). I have no desire to eat heavy winter food when it's warm and sunny outside. And beetroot is a salad veg as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

Later on of course I will have leeks, parsnips and salsify and as many borlotti beans as I want. :iconbiggrin: Not sure if the miniature curly kale is going to come to anything this year though. :( :( :( But the thought of eating cabbage on a day like today is like eating ice cream on the coldest day of the year - it just doesn't go. So poor you if you are into the depths of winter already :lol: , and we love salad all year round.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:So poor you if you are into the depths of winter already :lol: , and we love salad all year round.
No sign of winter here, not too many signs of autumn either and the temperatures are still around 22c.
It's just a case that I'm not that keen on salads especially for dinner and prefer regular conventional cooked vegetables instead. :iconbiggrin:

We are short on water too although it rained last night, still off the spring and on the borehole. :(
Makes tea taste disgusting.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Millymollymandy

In that case you're getting hotter weather than us :lol: it is lovely though and I was hoping to go to the coast for a last moules frites but my OH went and booked the car in for a MOT this morning. :roll: Tomorrow the temps are supposed to plummet and then it is supposed to rain (yippee!) so I may be going to the coast next week in me long johns and sou'wester. :mrgreen:

I'm going to buy in more winter veg this year as the kale looks like being a non starter (need new seed!) but I'm really pleased about that cos we can have more variety.

Oh and my PSB is going to be wrapped in blankies, electric blankets and hot water bottles to see it thru this winter OR ELSE!!! :iconbiggrin: :banghead:

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

Millymollymandy wrote:Did you forget to comment, M&B? :lol:
Shhhh, I was having a blonde day :flower: :lol:

I can't even remember what I was going to post!!

However, I can confirm that in the past week or so, we've reverted to a lot of 'winter dinners' - sausage and bean casserole, goulash, liver, bacon and onions etc...... yum!
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/