Beany recipes

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think so - isn't haricot French?! - though I've never looked. One thing I adore but can't get is butter beans. :cry: What kind of beans are they (before getting processed and tinned)? :oops: :oops:

There is a French version of tinned baked beans - absolutely disgusting! Most of the larger supermarkets have Heinz beans but at a price. I've got about 8 tins here that family brought over in the summer! Cost = nothing!!!

ina

Get somebody to bring you butter beans (the dried type) next time you have a visitor from Britain, and then grow them yourself! I'm sure you could grow them, in your climate (subject to sufficient rain, of course... :? )

Nev, I think my American cook book is still in Germany, in one of the boxes that didn't fit into the car last time I was there! Sorry, but I'm sure Shiney will find her recipe sooner than I find mine.

Anyway, here's another recipe:

Continental Lentil Soup

This is what we'd call a "one pot" in German, i.e. it's a meal in one pot. Too substantial to be eaten just as a first course, with a main course to follow (but a pudding is allowed afterwards! :lol: ) These quantities are enough for 4 portions.

1 onion
1 leek
1 parsnip (or Hamburg parsley)
2-3 carrots
1-2 potatoes
piece of celeriac (or 2 stalks of celery)
garlic, if you like
250g Continental lentils
veggie stock
bayleaf
pepper
fresh parsley if available

- size of veg is really up to your preference, this is what I'd use in medium size -

Sweat off chopped onion in oil. Add lentils, veggie stock (enough to cover lentils well, more might need to be added later), bayleaf and garlic. Bring to the boil and turn down heat.

I then clean, chop and add the other vegetables one after the other, depending on how long they take to cook - that way I use the cooking time also for preparing the veg, and it'll all come out more or less evenly cooked at the same time. Total cooking time should be something like half an hour.

Season with pepper (and whatever else you like - a bit of curry is nice). Sprinkle with chopped parsley just before serving.

Usually the lentils don't need soaking, but if they've been lurking about the back of your cupboard for the last 5 years, they might benefit from a few hours in water before they go in the pot!

For the non-veggies amongst you, it's nice to add a bit of fried, smoked bacon (add chopped bacon to the onions at the start), or smoked pork belly, or some smoked sausages. And of course you don't need to use veggie stock, either.

Serve with bread (home-made, wholemeal, of course... :wink: )

PS: Forgot to mention lovage as a very useful herb in this - probably because the goats have "pruned" mine to the ground... :cry:

Millymollymandy

Didn't like the Delia veggie shepherds pie and it took hours of faffing around - although I didn't use SWEDE :lol: or do the goats cheese mash. Next time I'll either stick to meat (!) or follow my gut instincts for getting some flavour into it as a veggie version.

ina

Did you use a different recipe from the one that was posted - because I can't see any goats cheese in it or swede!

Anyway, when I make it I basically use the same recipe as for my lentil soup, only less water, and perhaps add some mushrooms. And then maybe a bit of grated cheese on the mash.

Ina

Millymollymandy

You're right - Shiney's version is different. I went to the Delia site and printed off the recipe because I think it was a go-slow day here. The recipe I had used black eyed beans as well as the split peas and lentils, and celeriac and swede, and tomatoes cooked in with the other veg. I used carrots and celery and followed the rest of the recipe then put normal mash on top.

But it needed flavour! I would have slopped in some Worcester sauce, soy sauce, veggie stock....

shiney

MMM,

I looked for the delia recipe on her site too, she's tarted it up! I got the recipe I posted here from her old book that I have, as I don't want to faff around with all the extra food of the moment type stuff. etc. If I have some goats cheese in the fridge I'd use it as most of my cooking is adapted from old faves. And...it depends whats in the cupboard.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/