101 tips to help Quit smoking

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Jerseymum
Tom Good
Tom Good

19 - use just 2 stop smoking patches...stick' em over your eyes and you can't find your fags. :?
Never have smoked, but that's what my lovely dad told my mum the patches were for.
Sarah
How do you live your life when there's nobody watching?

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

funny one Sarah :lol:

20 ask yourself why you started smoking. was it anything to do with seeing other people smoke? realise you are influencing the next generation of potential smokers
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

Oh dear, as a smoker I must say that the fag after brushing my teeth is the most needed and best tasting fag of the day!

I have heard that in England you'll have to smoke outside but you can't put your fag butt out on the ground or you'll be fined!!!! So, one third of the population are going to walk around with portable ashtrays now I guess. :shock: It's ridiculous!

Oh and Fee, I smoke whether I've got a cold or the flu, because the addiction doesn't go away when I am ill.

Sorry slightly off topic but as I am a smoker I don't have any tips to stop smoking! :lol: I tried Alan Carr's book but it was a load of old codswallop!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

haha, i had a read of that book too, and it didn't make me give up either.

I think the most important thing for givin up is wanting to. I've never wanted to, therefore, i've never given up. I like the small, and i like the taste, therefore, i like smoking.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

21. Just convince yourself that you're a non-smoker. After two aborted attempts to quit (patches, then just a half-hearted attempt) it worked for me.

BTW, maybe the next 101 Things... could be 101 Ways to Lose the Weight You Put on When Quitting Smoking..? 10 years later, and I've just about lost the 2 stone that I gained.

Millymollymandy

That's the main reason I don't want to give up, because the two times I gave up before I ballooned in no time at all and forced myself to smoke again to lose the weight! :(

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

With hindsight, I'm happier that I chose to quit (and plumped out a bit) than continued to smoke. You can always shrug off weight - it's rather more difficult to shrug off the ailments that smoking causes.

Bonniegirl

Someone on another forum I visit had been smoking for 25 years 20 a day,

That worked out at 182500 cigs not including leap year days!

Isn't that a good enough reason to stop, another good one is that they kill you, plus you probably stink! :wink:
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

Millymollymandy

22. Have a heart attack.

Bit gruesome I know, but it worked for my Mum! She really misses her ciggies though and when I see her she is always taking in great lungfuls of my smoke saying "Yummy oh that smells so good"! :shock: :lol:

Millymollymandy

Bonniegirl wrote:Someone on another forum I visit had been smoking for 25 years 20 a day,

That worked out at 182500 cigs not including leap year days!

Isn't that a good enough reason to stop, another good one is that they kill you, plus you probably stink! :wink:
I've just read in the paper about a bloke who is 111 years old and puts his longevity down to whisky and fags! :lol:

ina

Another gruesome one:

23. See somebody die from lung cancer. That lady couldn't quit... It wasn't that that made me give up; I gave up long before that. But her daughter won't touch the stuff.

Fee fairy - I think it's about time we non-smokers had a bit of choice for once. Up to now, we couldn't go anywhere to have a nice pint. Now it's the smokers' turn not to have the choice to have a pint AND a fag at the same time. And yes, nobody "forces" you to work in a pub - but often there isn't much of a choice of jobs, depending on your other circumstances! (I still find that whenever I go by public transport, having to wait for the bus the shelter is taken up by smokers: so I have the "choice" to stand in the rain, or get puffed at...)

I also think you must know different pubs from the ones I go to: Here, it simply doesn't seem to be a problem. There are a few smokers outside the pub - but none of them seem to be in a hurry to down their drinks once they are inside. There's usually a backdoor for the smokers to stand at, so no problem for us having to fight our way through a throng of smokers to get in, either. I think a lot of people are just smoking less than before, or have finally given up; all to the good, I think. And as far as I know it has been shown that pub staff now have fewer respiratory problems, too.

Another thing - quitting smoking didn't make me fat. I'd always been this way. :oops:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Stonehead

ina wrote:Another thing - quitting smoking didn't make me fat. I'd always been this way. :oops:
No, just built for comfort, not for speed. :wink:

24. Work out how many you smoke a day and then the cost. Each day that you don't smoke, put the money saved in a jar. At the end of each week, blow the cash on totally selfish treats for yourself (not too many eating ones, though!!). I've never smoked but this worked well for the Other Half for who cigarettes were effectively a treat (feeling stressed, have a cigarette; feeling down, have a cigarette; home early, have a cigarette; home late, have a cigarette, etc).

So the more disciplined she was about not smoking during the week, the more cash she had to spend on Saturday morning. Her treats were things like very expensive, top quality dark chocolates; DVDs; bath oils; books; fresh langoustines for her dinner (I'd cook up something special just for her); a mound of fresh seasonal strawberries (all to herself) and so on.

It did work for her.

ina

Stonehead wrote: No, just built for comfort, not for speed. :wink:
Thank you, Stoney - that's made my day! :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

red

ina wrote: I think it's about time we non-smokers had a bit of choice for once.
yeh I agree - it seems up till now the rule has been you can smoke anywhere unless it says somewhere you cant - it's about time that changed around to you cannot smoke anywhere unless it says you can (or your own home etc obviously)
pubs are changing anyway and moving away from drinking houses to places that serve food too - I'm not sure they will suffer that much.

hmmm fresh langoustines eh Stonehead? sounds great now that's what I call being supportive!!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

Related to 18

Go to your local hospital in summer and meet all the people who are having fingers and limbs amputated due to gangereen which they have got because nicoteen reduces blood flow to the extremities.

I do wonder why people talk about their right to smoke rather than their right to give other people cancer... If it just smelt nasty and wasn't hurting anyone else then I would be supporting others right to smoke. For those who claim it doesn't cause cancer my response is 'Tell that to Roy Castle!' (Rant over, and I promise that none of it was aimed personally at people who have posted about enjoying their cigarettes)