Where do all the alternative people hang out?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Where do all the alternative people hang out?

I know all about feeling isolated... I also know I'm not the only one here in town. There is quite a bit going on for families with children, and for those active in church. I don't belong to either of those categories, so I'm stuck. No money to go to the pub, either. Maybe we should start an online communities thingie for "alternative locals"? (Well, like ISH, really, but more small scale - for people within walking distance...)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

happyhippy

Sounds like a good idea Ina!x

Flo

Exactly what are we defining as alternative people mind please? :wink: The fact that we are all here defines us as one form of alternative. Green living is another form of alternative.

There are of course other forms of alternative.

ina

Now that's an idea for discussion... Thinking about it, I believe alternative is anybody who's not only visibly living a different lifestyle (different from the Joneses), but is willing and able to engage with anything that's different; so - for me they wouldn't necessarily have to have bright green hair and holes in their jeans, but they'd have to treat people who do look like that equally to everybody else.

Does that make sense? Needs a bit more work, I think... :scratch:
Ina

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Friday craft club seems to attract alternative type of people I like.
Topics discussed are wide ranging and a lot of us are into self sustainability, recycling , art, festivals music , green issues , heathy natural healing and lifestyles. As well as growing our own food and sharing, occasional communal meals
Most of the fesivals have been covered by us over the years as well as living in campervans and traveling around for various lengths of times. Some of us still have a campervan tucked away to take to festivals with now grown up children and grand children ( not me I may add). Whilst trying to follow ecofriendly lifestyles. I personally don't like the big supermarket giants and commerciism and prefer supporting individuals and small companies, Farm shops, farmers markets , craft fairs ect.
More individual using local resources and often better quality.
Off to get stuff together for making Santas out of recycled material at the craft club session I am running tomorow . Recycling , having fun, drinking lots of tea and coffee , putting the world to rights whilst making something to decorate our homes for Christmas. Better than buying cheap imported tatt. I am also asking for donations towards a adventure weekend next year for a group of twelve girls in exchange for the materials and two work shops. So everyone benefits .
Happy Christmas from me and my home made Santa .

happyhippy

Alternative as in Ina and Pumpkinpie have suggested! :iconbiggrin: :cheers:

Lochside Yogi
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I've wondered about this and thought it might be nice to know some like minded people locally but not known how to find them. Then I realised if they are living a selfsufficient(ish) lifestyle they probably won't have much money to spend elsewhere, tend to live in a more remote location and maybe quite happy with their own company :icon_smile: like me. If anyone else was looking they probably wouldn't find me. :(

ina

Lochside Yogi wrote:I've wondered about this and thought it might be nice to know some like minded people locally but not known how to find them. Then I realised if they are living a selfsufficient(ish) lifestyle they probably won't have much money to spend elsewhere, tend to live in a more remote location and maybe quite happy with their own company :icon_smile: like me. If anyone else was looking they probably wouldn't find me. :(
Well - if Stranraer wasn't so far from here, I'd come looking for you! :)

Most of the time I'm quite happy with my own company, too. But it would be nice to know a few people to talk to once in a while, just to prevent me from starting to cackle, as Nanny Ogg would have it... Remember - that's why witches go visiting each other! :wink:
Ina

Lochside Yogi

Thanks ina you would be welcome anytime if you do wander this way. It doesn't help that I am basically antisocial anyway ;-). The few neighbours I do have probably just see me as the weird bloke with the untidy garden increasingly covered in fruit, veg and pallets! With rescued chickens wandering around hopefully eating all the slugs.

happyhippy

Used to live near you Lochside Yogi! We have friends who live in the forrest not too far from you! :wave:

Lochside Yogi

happyhippy wrote:Used to live near you Lochside Yogi! We have friends who live in the forrest not too far from you! :wave:
That wouldn't be Frugaldom would it?

happyhippy

No not that one Yogi!Sorry I'm not obliged to say! :brave:

Lochside Yogi

That's ok just wondered.