soap nuts

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I asked at the organic market tonight why they don't stock Ecover anymore. As far as I can remember (and as far as I think I understood), it went something like this:

1) The enzymes in Ecover are produced using microbes that are the result of genetic modification (there are no GM things in Ecover, but the stuff in it is produced by things that are GMed).

2) They don't have any real 'cut-off' date for animal testing. That is to say, many 'ethical' companies abide by some agreement whereby they say they will not use anything that has been tested on animals after a specified date. Ecover have a sort of 'rolling date', where they only say they won't use stuff that has been tested on animals within the last so many years.

3) Something about milk product being used in their products, which would be a concern to unwitting vegan customers.

4) Although the company used to be owned by Group 4, it was recently sold to a private individual - who just happens to be the major shareholder in Group 4...

Now, I can't vouch that any of this is actual fact, and would hate to think I was perpetuating unfounded romour, but this is what I was told (I think) in a rather befuddled conversation whilst I was weighing out me dried figs. As ever, do your own research.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I shall have to e-mail them and ask them about that too.

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

Bio-d is UK - somewhere up near Hull.
the problem with all these products is that they still contain nasties like sodium lauryl sulphate.
dont know what the solution is, we have tried soap nuts, but also dont like the air miles.
perhaps they would grow here (portugal) and i'd be willing to send surplus nuts to anyone for the price of P&P. anyone got any seeds, didnt see any in mine!

when we arrived here 4 years ago, almost all detergents were biodegradable. now, they are hard to find, and expensive - i guess manufacturers realised they could ask for a premium price.

think i ought to get out our book on making natural soap :)

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Following on from my post on the glyphosate question, can I just point out that 'natural soaps' may be just as persistent in the environment as commercially made ones.

All detergents are now required by law to have their biodegradability demonstrated (EU Detergents directive). The wisest move would be to find out (not sure where from but could follow it up) which detergents are the most readily biodegradable (ie persist the least in the enviroment) and ensure that these are the ones we use (whilst still keeping an eye on the impact of their production and the distance they've had to travel)

Peggy Sue

I have just tried soapnuts- at least the four the dog didn't eat before I got to the post. They seemed just the same as any other washing powder

BUT, I don't get truely muddy often, and if I do it has never seemed to matter what clever power I use it doesn't come out. I tried using half powder and lower temperatures this year and it's much the same.

Soapnut are alos much the same, but there are soem things I don't think it's worth using detergent with- my oldest dirties coat I wear for the horse (gets really dirty int eh winter). This I always wash in just water- and the results seem no different.

Question is do we really need anything at all with our washing unless the stains have to come out- then it has to be vanish!!

not sure if anyone is still on this thread so I amy be talking to myself here :oops:
Just Do It!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi Peggy Sue
Well, I've certainly cut down on the amount of powder that I use. I think greasy stuff needs a detergent to get it out.

Zoe

Meredith
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well, I find that only half the recommended amount of detergent is needed to clean the clothes, that the first step in reducing what you use.

Other than that I have a grading system depending what I'm washing. I have Eco balls for things that need no more than just freshening up, next level I use soapnuts. I use Ecover for the dirty stuff and if something is really mucky I resort to Daz. We have a septic tank so I have to be very careful what goes into it.
Magick happens

possum

going back to soap nuts, does anyone know of an importer to New Zealand, I would love to get some and try growing them, but I can't find any company selling them.
Opinionated but harmless

rag_grrl_nz
Tom Good
Tom Good

possum wrote:going back to soap nuts, does anyone know of an importer to New Zealand, I would love to get some and try growing them, but I can't find any company selling them.
Yeah I haven't heard of any either.
Helen @
Red Rag reusable menstrual products
Save money, save your body, save the planet
www.redrag.co.nz

Cornelian
Living the good life
Living the good life

there is an Australian site selling them - http://www.soapinanutshell.com.au/

they will deliver to NZ - just ask them re postage costs.

I LOVE soapnuts!! they get all the mud out of my dirtiest gardening clothes, as well as grease etc. :)

If you want to be happy for a day, buy a car. If you want to be happy for a weekend, get married. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, be a gardener.

possum

Cornelian wrote:there is an Australian site selling them - http://www.soapinanutshell.com.au/

they will deliver to NZ - just ask them re postage costs.

I LOVE soapnuts!! they get all the mud out of my dirtiest gardening clothes, as well as grease etc. :)
YAY!!! thank you so much for that, have emailed them for postage costs.
If I get any seeds I am going to try growing them here.
Opinionated but harmless

maryrose
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Talking of getting soapnuts to New Zealand, I found a really informative site by chance. http://www.stopforbreath.co.uk. They'll ship all round the world apparently. I also get my soapnuts from them. Best price around and always good quality. Wouldn't use anything else on all the nappies I get through in a day - well - not me personally!

blondiegreen
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

This website sells soapnuts internationally.

http://stores.HotterThanHealth.com/storefront.bok

Thanks!

hedgewitch

I'm just waiting for a freebie in the post.

Silver Ether gave me the heads up on this link
click here

Just the price of a 48p stamp and you can get a free sample.

:flower:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Mirrie
Tom Good
Tom Good

I love HW's pic!
As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow