Pickled Eggs

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pickled Eggs

A few years a go I tried preserving eggs by pickling them and was not particularly impressed with the results. Does any one have any proven, ripper recipes for pickling eggs? :toothy7:
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about spiced eggs

Heres a recipe for spiced eggs from the complete book of preserving by narye Cameron-Smith

Ingredients

2 tsp crushed pepper corns.
2 tsp roughly crushed allspice berries
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1 litre (1 and three quater pints) wine or herb vinegar
16 small fresh eggs.

Put the seasoning in a bit of muslin and tie into a little bag with string.
pour the vinegar into a saucepan and add the spice bag. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins in a covered pan Allow the liquid to cool in the pan and stand for 2 hours before removeing the spice bag.

Meanwhile boil the eggs for at least 10 mins. Place the cooked eggs in cold water to cool, then carefully remove the shells.
divide the eggs between sterilized jars, pour on the could spiced liquid, making sure the eggs are completely immersed in the liquid, and seal with airtight lids.
Leave for a month before opening.

Have not tried it myself yet but I have a big jar of pickled eggs that my mate gave me and wil try after I have finsihed them.
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Andy, I'll give it a go! :lol:

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Emma
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

ergh pickled eggs :pale: I ate one on a nite out once and it came straight back up again :drunken:

:geek:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yuuuuuuuk! Thanks for sharing that! :pale:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once you've pickled your eggs, do you store them in the fridge or the cupboard? :toothy8:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Always been fine in the cupboard in fact I was wondering this yesterday, I think you are suposed to put them in the frigde but the tub I have at the moment is so big it wont fit in the fridge. I ate one yestaerday and I am still here. :pale:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter

rhyddid

Last edited by rhyddid on Mon May 02, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fair enough, thanks guys, and also thanks for the heads up about open flames :lol:

I also make my own Indian food and and now looking of a way to exploit the "natural gas" produced as a power source. :shock:

Nev

jema
Tom Good
Tom Good

Gave up on making these, I find them quite fun to make, having made them I eat one or two and enjoy them, but the next time i fancy one is months on, and they have deteriated.

jema

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

jema wrote:Gave up on making these, I find them quite fun to make, having made them I eat one or two and enjoy them, but the next time i fancy one is months on, and they have deteriated.

jema
have you tried the spiced ones? I supose there is nothing to stop you pickling just three in a smaller jar to stop them going to waste.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter

jema
Tom Good
Tom Good

Andy Hamilton wrote:
jema wrote:Gave up on making these, I find them quite fun to make, having made them I eat one or two and enjoy them, but the next time i fancy one is months on, and they have deteriated.

jema
have you tried the spiced ones? I supose there is nothing to stop you pickling just three in a smaller jar to stop them going to waste.
Was spicy ones I did, I suppose I could do very small quantities but small quantities and me don;t seem to mix :D

jema