Greetings from wet Wales (great!)

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
judyofthewoods
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Greetings from wet Wales (great!)

No, no sarcasm intended. Hi. Yes, Wales is rather wet, but at the moment I am happy about it, 'cos the sun is still too low on the horizon to give me electricity, and the hydro generator is a great addition to make me self sufficient in electricity year round in comfort (pv panels give plenty in the summer). I just joined this forum and it looks like a very friendly one, with plenty of traffic. And, no offense to American forums, we are in a global community, but its great to also relate to people living so much closer to home. I am not self sufficient in food, and probably never will be totally (few would aim that high anyway), but am in many other ways, though like to call it self-reliance. I built a little cabin, have my own water and electricity, and love to tinker, making things for the house or whatever, doing my own repairs. In the food line I do cook from scratch, but buy bread ready made (one day...), also pasta. OK,one more confession, stock cubes. Self reliance is a slow process, something you do in increments, cutting the umbilical chord to dependency on a society that says you need experts for everything. They just want to keep the jobs for the boys in most cases. You don't have to be an expert, just get by for your particular requirements, and if you keep it simple, that can be easier than you think. I have just started my website, and you can see the story unfold, along with many tips and tricks I've gathered over the years. I add stuff almost daily, so keep looking, you may find something of use to you. Its www.judyofthewoods.net .
Last edited by judyofthewoods on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Judy of the Woods

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Judy

good to see you on the forum :lol:

Very interesting website you have, look forward to reading the future additions. It sounds like you are truly a self sufficient 'ish' person so glad you found us. I think it is fantastic that you are off grid, certainly makes up for not baking your own bread :wink:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Judy,

It's a great site, you have accomplished huge amounts by yourself :lol:

Well done!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Elderflower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Judy, great site! I know I`ll use it lots, including Amazon! One thing you may know, I used to get the TLIO newsletter, being a life member, but it seems to have stopped. Do you know anything about it?
Learn to love - love to learn

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have just had a good lok at your site and think it's great. I would love to do what you are doing...how long have you been there. I will certainly buy my amazon stuff through you. good luck

judyofthewoods
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thank you all for your friendly messages, and intentions of supporting me through your amazon purchases, however, I have come onto this forum via the selfsufficientish website who also have an affiliation sceeme with eco-logic books, and wouldn't like to deprive them of that support, as much as I appreciate your intention and would love any support I can get, but without them I would not be here. You can bookmark www.selfsufficientish.com as your gateway to eco-logic books, but if you can't find what you are looking for, please do go to amazon via my site. Thanks again.
Diver, I've been living here for ten years, and bought the place two years earlier.
Elderflower, I only get the Chapter7 newsletter from TLIO. Is that the one you mean? I havn't had a copy for a little while, but not sure if my subscription is overdue. The newsletter is infrequent.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Judy I wondered if you have found it worth while using amazon? There used to be amazon ads all over this site and I have since taken them down. I thought I would leave them up over Christmas as 80% of amazons business is undertaken then, and yep our earnings rocketed to $1.29. I since decided on eco-logic as they are an ethical company and much more in keeping with the low impact philosophy of this website.

I have found that the google ads have given us much more of a steady income although still pretty small as we only get paid when people visit the sites that are advertised on them.

Any way that aside I must say thank you for suggesting that people buy books through us.
Andy
and...... Twitter

judyofthewoods
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Wow, $1.29. More than I've made. I have only just done amazon for a week or so, and my site has not had huge exposure, but if I multiply the income for the first week by the number of weeks in the year, I should earn about £0.00 pa.
Thanks for the ad tip, maybe I'll put them on the support page, or just keep them as plain word links, keeps the unclutterred look and saves download time.

By the way, your signature - first we sow the seeds...sounds familiar, from a comedy scetch?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

first we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds was said in an episode of the young ones by Neil the hippy. He dies and gets buried in the back garden and then loads of him appear at the end say first we sow the neil, then we grow the neil then we eat the neil. Remember?

Oh the other thing that I liked about eco-logic is that you can actualy get a response from a human and they will pay out after you have earnt £25 so a bit more reasonable than the £100 or a year that you have to wait with amazon.
and...... Twitter

Emma
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi judy gr8 site :geek: