Knitting!

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Annpan wrote:
have just started knitting with old video tape after seeing it on the net. (Sorry can't find the link just now). It's working OK but very noisy
I saw it on INEBG and thought it was a great idea, but i couldn't think of anything practicle to make, I think I would use audio tapes instead though, easier to work with maybe. Also love the idea of putting a tag on each thing saying "I used to be Stars by Simply Red" or "I used to be UB40s Greatest hits" etc ... it just makes me giggle.
Ha ha. That is a great idea. Mine would say "I used to be a security tape of the warehouse" not quite so sexy!

Here is the link.

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/02/2 ... ening-bag/

This bag is crochet but I can't do that.

Nev, the noise is the rustling of the tape (not the soundtrack). :lol: But it has been suggested that if you knit really fast you could get the picture showing on the wall :lol:

The video tape is quite thick but it kind of twists as it goes throught your fingers so it's not too bad. It does break easily (especially if the cat on your lap starts chewing it as you knit). I think audio tape would be worse.

At the moment I am only knitting a test square. Casting on was a nightmare as it kept slipping off the needles.

yugogypsy

knitting

How about spool knitting? To use up all the end bits from projects, depending on the wool size you could use a small or large spool, and turn out mats, tubes to make into draft excluders (stuffed with old nylons)
or tube dresses for dolls.

Or you can braid them into strips and sew together for a rug.

Lois

lnovo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

knitting and relaxing

Hi!

I have been knitting for almost two years now. Learnt on a visti to Brazil to see my grandmother. We spent hours together knitting and relaxing. Brought the habit with me and have since knitted scarfes, bags, hats and some other small projects. i haven't got much time to knit and I have given up big projects like jumpers, etc. My most favourit projects were a 'cyclist hat' for my boyfriend that open on top and let his head 'breath' :wink: and some cotton dish cloths that i gave as xmas presents last year. I now knit xmas presents instead of shopping for them and that has been a relief. I can actually enjoy xmas and not get stressed about buying presents. Stich and Bitch is a very good book for beginners but I find it would be good to have someone in Oxford more advanced than me to share tips. Anyone know of any group or course in the area?

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

There doesn't seem to be a group in Oxford :(
but there is a thriving one in Bicester if you can stand the drive.

http://www.knittingforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14152

Angel Yarns is one of my fave other forums to post on/steal ideas/get motivated.

Anna x
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

lnovo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

would love to join the bicester group but I don't have a car... and cycling is a bit too far. pity

ina

Bonniegirl wrote: Use about 22 lengths of baling twine that had been cut by the knot.
I suppose you are talking about small bales here? There's hardly any of them around nowadays... Can you just give me an indication how long the bits of twine would be? A net like that would be good for my goats, I think.

(If I used lengths of twine of the Hesston bales, I would probably end up with a fishing net... :? )

I still knit all my socks, and 2 or 3 jumpers per year (plus the odd item for presents). The last one I made is a proper Guernsey; knitted with 2mm needles, using a pattern that's over 100 years old. It's great - wears better than anything else I've ever had - and you can't buy one like that! Well, you could probably get somebody to knit one for you, if you had enough money. I have an entire suitcase full of wool at home at the moment; enough for at least 3 more jumpers - when I do see nice wool, I can rarely resist!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

yugogypsy

Knitting

Yes, I'm talking about square bales, You could make a hammock with the strings from the big round bales! :lol:

I've used baling twine for macrame too.

Lois

yugogypsy

knitting

OOPS :oops:

Didn't realize that question wasn't for me

:lol: Lois

ina

Doesn't matter - but Hesston bales are square, so I suppose you are talking about the small ones... The round ones are held together mostly by netting nowadays, or by "endless" twine - very thin stuff.

But that's a good idea actually - make a hammock out of the twine that comes off the Hesston bales... Now I just need to find two trees, sturdy enough to hold me, and small enough not to shade the hammock out altogether! :bom:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)