Dotty by nature

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Dotty
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Dotty by nature

Hello! Nice to find another site like this where like minded souls can chat about the things we love.

I am a single full time Mum living back at "home" while I try and save for the dream home. I keep chickens, quails and a ferret and am an avid gardener (mainly veg). One day hope to re-locate to wildest Wales and do the whole smallholder bit....but we'll just have to see which way the wind blows :flower:
Not "if" but "when"!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello there Dotty nice to meet you and welcome to the site.

You keep quails, wow I like the sound of that can't say that I have ever met anyone else who keeps quails before. Tells us more...

So if you had the opportunity you would move to wales and not down to france or spain then?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

dotty!

Dotty by nature!

Well, France could be a possibility, but there are people in England that I'd not want to miss! Also France and Spain have got too many English people living there! :shock:

Quails are fab, I keep Japanese for their eggs - and one day meat when I'm braver, and chinese quails which I sell to people to keep in their aviaries. They hoover up the spilt seed and keep the place nice and tidy. Some people keep them in the greenhouse to eat the greenfly etc, but I fear it would be too hot in the summer.
Quails are easy to raise if you have an incubator - they are not broody by nature!

The chickens are great, and they are totally free-range, as the veg patch will testify, or whats left of it! :cry:

The eventual plan is to produce as much as possible and rear my own livestock for meat, that way you know it's had a good life, a humane departure and hasn't been pumped full of goodness knows what.

In the meantime it's just visiting as many smallholdings as possible, reading stacks and getting out there doing as much as a 2 yr old will let you!

Emma
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

What do quails eggs taste like :geek:

Dotty
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Emma

Quails just taste like chicken eggs only alot smaller. Hardboiled is the way to go, and they are excellent in salads or on canapes.

Try some at the supermarket and see!! They do look really cute fried!
Not "if" but "when"!