What a storm

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

What a storm

We had a storm in Plymouth lastnight. The thunder and lightening went on from 2.30 am until 7.45 am. That's nearly 5 HOURS, Neither John or I could ever remember in our lifetime 58 years, a storm that rumbled on for that long.

What with the hailstones in Peterborough falling so thick that they covered the ground like snow and were so big they made holes in the leaves of my friends leaves. And that was on an afternoon in May. One minute it was lovely and sunny, next the hailstones were laying so thick it looked like something out of a Christmas card.

Not only do I find it quite spooky all these weird weather occurances, but quite worrying too.

Anybody else having unusual weather phanonemon.

I try not to worry too much about global warming and all the consequences of that. But sometimes things happen that make you sit up and take notice. We do our bit for the good of the planet, "think global - act local" but after nights like lastnight is it enough.

I was going to put some funny emotions on to lighten the thread but I feel too concerned about it to add humour.

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit maudling today..being tired isn't helping, my dog hates thunder so woke me up by jumping all over my head...that's how I know it started at 2.30am!!

Jill.. :flower:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Jill

Think the storm has just moved over to here in Bath, been going on since I got up at about 7.30 perhaps before but I did not hear it. We also have loads of hail storms here, I thought it was just a Bath thing.

Well over the last year I have vowed never to drive and I am thinking about never taking an aeroplane again. I have also swaped our electricity to eco-tricity so that I only use wind power.

I do however, buy some food that is flown here from other countries and that is the extra that I could do.

We do need to be doing more I totally agree. The thing is our infrastructure is not really set up to be doing more, over in USA it even worse as they almost HAVE to drive everywhere. We need better trains and more incentives to stop using cars or flying. A luzury train ride for the same price as an easyjet ticket for example would be a very good start.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah,
Same here Andy. Unfortunately long distances and lousy public transport make it difficult but I want to wind back our car use too. We no longer own a car but at least the company car is new and kept well tuned. I commend you on you resolve not to drive. -

Onya mate :cheers:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have to put my hands up to not wanting rid of the car, (well 4x4 landrover, oops, sorry!). We spend so much of our spare time here in Scotland, going up in the hills to walk, the scenery is so fabulous, and it's a part of our life that's really important, public transport does not take you to these places.

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Andy the thunder started at about 2.30 in Bradford this morning and didnt give in until about 1pm. You must be a sound sleeper!

I couldn't believe that there was one storm after another. Our spuds took a bashing but I am sure they will bounce back. The water butt was on overflow in no time and we were flooded all around our shed. As we are on a hill, we managed to get the hosepipe to suck out all the water onto the street.

I am just glad we didn't go to Glastonbury. Our friend went to work there yesterday (he's a nurse) and got flooded out of his tent at the wee small hours. Luckily he had a yellow survival bag with him and stuffed all his belongings into it as soon as he could.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

What a strange path this storm seems to have taken. I got up at about 5am (I'm not an early riser, but my bladder is) and it was a beautiful summer morning here in Berks. I did consider (briefly) not going back to bed. The storm didn't get here until about noon, and its been raining on and off since, occasionally with dramatic sound and light effects. Guess who had an afternoon of outside work.

I hadn't realised it was Glastonbury festival this weekend - with Wimbledon on as well, and me having just cleaned my car, can there be any surprise at the rain?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

shiney wrote:the thunder started at about 2.30 in Bradford this morning
I then wrote:What a strange path this storm seems to have taken.
I was forgetting you meant Bradford on Avon.

Not such a strange path after all.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

shiney

We are only 9 miles away from Bath.

I phoned my gran in Surrey this morning who was rather surprised that we were having such terrible weather. She said it was a beautiful day.

The weather has moved fast though, my brother rang me at 7pm to say that the most spectacular thunderstorms had just started in Rye, East Sussex!

Glastonbury and Wimbledon without a washout? They have to have SOME rain, it's the LAW!!!

ina

Just for once we seem to have the good weather up here in Scotland. Hardly any rain for the last 5 days or so, a bit of drizzle this afternoon. Winds slow to fresh, but no storms. Mind you, our local highland games are taking place tomorrow, there's bound to be some rain, even if the forecast is just for overcast...

Nicest games around, by the way, if somebody fancies a trip up north. Beautiful setting in a small glen, just below the castle, and mostly locals here. No public transport, though; the nearest bus stop about 10 miles away (apart from school bus), train station 15 miles. That's the problem with living in an area like this. You really can't do without car. But at least, being on my own and not exactly a fan of frequent and extended shopping trips, I get away with a very small one. And if something bigger has to be transported, there's always a friend with a 4x4 and trailer around.

And yes, I promise (please, will somebody check up on me that I've kept my promise), this Sunday I'll go and get my paper by bike and not find an excuse again to go by car!!! :oops:

Ina

shiney

Ina, I'll be back to check!

ina

Thanks, Shiney - I need a bit of pressure, or I'll never get anything done!

Millymollymandy

Please send some rain my way!

There was a thunderstorm here the other night but we were just on the edge of it so nothing special and slight drizzle which didn't do more than dampen the roof, let alone fill a water butt.

Surely the hurricanes of the 80s lasted more than 5 hours (Cheap & Cheerful's post said never saw a storm lasting that long before - or did she mean just a thunderstorm?).

As we spent 7 years living at the foothills of the Jura mountains I doubt if I'll ever see a spectacular thunder/lightning storm like those ones again. Sometimes they sounded like WW3 had started over our house!