Adult trike with child's seat

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

Adult trike with child's seat

Has anyone come across an adult tricycle with a child's seat (up to five years of age) above the rear axle?

I've looked at bicycles with trailers, but the trailers swing out on bends and that's not good on narow country roads.

I've also looked at tandems, but no good for small kids and very expensive. Rear seats on a bike mean no carrying capacity and aren't that stable.

So, what I'm thinking of is a trike with a child seat above the axle and then a cargo trailer. While it wouldn't be cheap, it would be about the same as a cheap car and have none of the running costs.

It would also have the benefit of cutting our vehicle emissions by about 25% (as my car is used less than the OH's).

Shirley

I know the sort of thing you mean... I've seen them... but not for a long time.

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/mission_piggyback_mk2.html

http://www.christianiabikes.com/english/uk_main.htm (WOW to these ones.... but OUCH to the price!)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

red

I've not seen one no - and spent alot of time looking at adult trikes as my son has one (he has a muscle problem which means a regular bike is not viable)
I don't know if you could attach a tag along bike to the back of an adult trike - we got on well with our tagalong for year. but you want to attach a trailer...
worth remembering tho.. as I'm sure you know, that trikes do corner in a strange way.

red

Stonehead

red wrote:worth remembering tho.. as I'm sure you know, that trikes do corner in a strange way.

red
I used to ride one doing deliveries for a shop, but that was years ago. I've also ridden a pedal rickshaw (with the passengers in front) and that wasn't too bad - if a bit heavy on the steering.

Even better, would be a trike (or rickshaw) with an electric motor for assistance on very steep hills and a solar panel to recharge it. Hmm, plus regenerative braking to generate more power on the downhill run...

Stonehead

I've just received an email from a friend who pointed me in the direction of the Winther Kangaroo.

http://www.kangaroobike.co.uk/

This does look interesting, but there are no details of prices (bound to be expensive). I also wonder how it handles and how easy it is to go uphill (it comes from Denmark which is fairly flat!).

Shirley

Probably easier to go DOWNHILL - although I hope the brakes are good :mrgreen:

I quite liked the christiania bikes myself, but not really that practical... I just can't imagine pedalling UPhill with kids in the front.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Stonehead

Shirlz2005 wrote:Probably easier to go DOWNHILL - although I hope the brakes are good :mrgreen:

I quite liked the christiania bikes myself, but not really that practical... I just can't imagine pedalling UPhill with kids in the front.
Hydraulic disc brakes on the front, plus a rear brake.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saw a bloke in London with a Christiania bike!

Our local bike shop has electric tricycles that are ex-China, but locally are 1800AUD!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Stonehead

Wombat wrote:Saw a bloke in London with a Christiania bike!

Our local bike shop has electric tricycles that are ex-China, but locally are 1800AUD!

Nev
While we currently have two cars, the second one's main use is so that I can take animals to the abbatoir, collect carcases, and collect up to 600kg of bagged feed. It's secondary use is to run in and out of town for shopping and the Wee 'Un's playgroup.

If I can find a way of doing the abbatoir and feed runs while sharing just one car with the OH, then I don't need another car as the town runs can be done by bike.

While the cost of a good trike is about the same as an inexpensive used car, the big cost advantages are no MoT, no road tax, no dino fuels (only more bowls of porridge for moi!), and a huge reduction in maintenance costs. It also removes the emissions from one vehicle.

I'd still get insurance cover (either through the Cycling Touring Club or a company like AUA).

I've ridden in all weathers before, so that's not an issue. The main questions are whether a trike has the right gears for our hills, how well it handles and stops, and how comfortable and warm the boys would be.

goldy1
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

PurpleDragon

Gosh, I love that! I don't think you would be able to put a trailer on it though, would you?
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

Stonehead

goldy1 wrote:You could try one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pashley-Tricycle- ... dZViewItem
This is what I was originally looking for but they don't seem to be available new from Pashley dealers any more and I can't find any reasonably local used ones (yet).

However, we're getting more information about the Kangaroo. It's not cheap but as we'd be using it instead of a car, there would be considerable monthly savings in running costs. (In Denmark, the Government provides subsidised loans to buy them!)

The Kangaroo can also have a Sparc electric motor fitted (40km range on economy setting or 24km/h top speed on the speed setting) to provide assistance on hills. The Sparc set-up still have a five-speed gearbox.

The battery charger is mains powered, but I'm trying to find out if it could be recharged using 12v solar or wind turbine, without going through an inverter. If so, it becomes even more tempting.

With the motor assistance, taking the Kangaroo over to Norvite to pick up two or three sacks of poultry feed with the Wee 'Un on board as well becomes feasible. Without motor assistance? Well, Shirlz has driven up the hill behind our place... want to try cycling up it with a load? :mrgreen:

Shirley

Stonehead wrote:Well, Shirlz has driven up the hill behind our place... want to try cycling up it with a load? :mrgreen:
Ummm I wouldn't manage to cycle up it WITHOUT a load :mrgreen:

The powered option is good though - Can you let me know what you find out about the price Stoney - it might be feasible for me up here for the nursery run too.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

baldowrie

Stonehead let me know if you find a 12v solar charger for an electric bike as I am on the look out for a solar charger for my scooter due to the fact recharging is becoming a pain with running electric leads every where.

I was considering the 12v solar trickle charger I have for the caravan?????

goldy1

Therir not cheap new but heres a list of dealers. http://www.pashley.co.uk/uk-dealers.php I sold one last year for £150. they are out there. keep looking one will pop up.