Chickens

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Chickens

Yipee! I have my chickens at last! We went down to Launceston yesterday to get some organic pullets. I decided on 3 Black Rock and 3 Speckledys all at 12 weeks. The first part of the week has been spent fencing off our garden from the neighbours and building a hen house and covered run. By Tues night we were jolly tired but ready for hens. The kids have some ideas for names but I reckon we wait until we check out their personalities. One of the Speckledys has been picked on and had her tail feathers pulled by the others, I've treated her with antiseptic which should put the others off. They are unsure of the big outdoors at the moment but I guess it will take a while for them to settle in :roll:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hoorah, the eggs are on Lyds :lol:

I take it these chickens are not going to end up as sunday roast then. I remember a good mate of mine telling about two pigs he named who both ended up on the Barbie. He still sounded gutted and this was 25 years ago.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

I knew someone who informally named the rabbits he gave his children "christmasdinner" and "easterdinner" :wink:

Mind you, I think they both ended up as "foxvictim" ... even less of a happy ending for all concerned :pale:

Wulf

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I once named a goldfish "sushi" - does that count? :roll:

Alcina

ina

How's the goldfish - still alive and well? :fish:

Ina

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Alas it was found floating some number of years ago. :cry:

(Burp!)

Alcina

ina

At least we can assume it died a natural death, at home, in its usual environment - isn't that what we'd all like? :shock: (Hope that doesn't start a philosophical discussion about dying now!)

Anyway, seeing that this topic was originally on chickens, I can proudly add that I have received my book about constructing poultry housing, and I now have firm ideas on how to convert my existing garden shed (presently full of rubbish, which will have to move into the garage) into a "palais de poulets" (excuse my French, but it sounds a lot posher like this than chicken palace :wink: ). And there's an agricultural show nearby next Saturday, so maybe I can find out about where to buy the ckicks I want. Every time I buy a dozen eggs now I hope it's the last time...

Ina

Millymollymandy

Then soon you'll be like me with 25 eggs in the fridge and saying "aaaarrrrggghhhhhh"!!!

Ina, keep the egg cartons until you get your chickens so you've got something to put the eggs in.

ina

Oh, I think there'll be plenty of takers for free-range eggs... The neighbours, for a start, to keep them sweet (in case the hens find their way in to their garden :oops: ) and willing to look after my livestock when I go on holiday!

I always keep my egg cartons. Have used them in the past as seed trays, too. And quite a few of the places where I buy my eggs now take the used cartons back (if I remember to take them).

Ina

Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I need to start training my neighbours to chicken sit with the promise of free eggs when they start to lay.
One rather bad girl (hen not neighbour) is trying to be top-hen and bossing all the others. I had to put her in a sin bin last night in the hope that she would mend her ways. She seems to be behaving today.....

Anyway, I want to be top-hen :roll:

p.s. Our cat is scared of the hens, did you ever? :cat:

Millymollymandy

So have you named them yet?

My three are Boccy (cos the first day she was the only one to make a noise - boc boc boc... :lol: ), Lady (ladybird, lay lady lay - geddit?) and Little Ginge(r) (she's little and a red hen). They all got named the first day.

Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The only one with a name so far is the bad girlwho I named Henrietta. She has been bossing the others and pecking bottoms. Its just like school, teachers always get to know the naughty kids first. Anyway, I think two of the Black Rocks could be Olivia and Viola, I must take some pics to post here (some have greatness thrust upon them) :roll:

greenchi
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ah I just love my chookies.........

I have about 20 ish and a couple of roosters.... who will be eaten soon.
We eat the boys at about 6 months old. It took a while to get used to the idea but we like having babies so we have a rooster and so we get some male babies.... we only need one male. We keep the nicest friendliest one.
Mine are red shavers and Silkies ( they look like Elvis with a fluffy hair thing going on)... I just love my girls. I go around late at night with a torch and a plastic container to collect slugs and snails off my greens.... like all good organic growers do.... :roll: In the morning I gift all those slimey vege eating monsters to my girls......... and in return they give me beautiful eggs :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
It takes both sunshine and rain to make the garden bloom.

leedarkwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

Lyds, don't punish the chicken for doing natural chicken things, you are going to upset all the chickens if you do! It is natural and necessary for the chickens health that one of them becomes the top bird, and that is what is happening. I know it is painful to watch (and for the bird that is receiving the pecking) but you must let them alone to get on with it. The top bird will have a measure of responsibility for the others, and they need a sense that someone is in charge. This is just the 'pecking order' coming into force, and interferring is a very bad idea for the chickens sake. They will all eventually sort themselves out so that they know who goes first, who roost where, etc. They will be far more unhappy without this then without some feathers. If you don't like seeing it, then don't look! It won't last for ever. Please let them get on with it, they will settle far better.

Lee

Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks Lee for the advice, that is just what is happening now. Henrietta has established herself as top hen.
The books say that if one hen is pulling tail feathers from the others she should be seperated so that is what I did, for one night only as I hadn't the heart to keep it up. There is quite alot of conflicting advice on the web and in books which makes it hard for the beginner, so any advice from you guys who already keep chickens will be much appreciated.
I must say that they are easier to get to bed than the kids. They form a queue and march in at dusk and that is it. No shouting, no 'just 5 mins', they just go to bed, amazing :roll: