challenge Selfsufficientish

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
Merry
A selfsufficientish Regular

I couldn`t think what the little plastic strips in my compost could be - then I realised that it was the window part of the window envelopes I`d shredded!

Shirley

lol

Great challenge Boots!!!

You could always use the window envelopes again - you just need to position your letter with the senders address visible.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pilsbury wrote: not a problem, i shread mine then compost them, i dont have a huge bin and it is only 2 of us so when it is ready i seive the lot to get out any large bits and uncomposterble stuff, yes it does still need to be thrown away but it will be longer than 2 weeks :wink:
Lol - if we can do two weeks without waste on that basis then I reckon even I can do it :)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

The real challenge would be to do this at christmas :shock:

I think that would be too difficult. SO two weeks without anything entering a land fill - Well I except the challenge but let me have a couple of weeks to prepare first. Milk bottle tops will be the first thing that I can think of that will be a problem, will have to find a charity that collects them.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Boots

... or you could make an Aussie hat and replace the corks with caps for your brother for Christmas...

:mrgreen:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

well for two weeks that's easy - you can make bird scarers for the allottment - but nearly everything that you 'can' do with obscure things that can't be recycled isn't practical long term - I could use empty yeast packets to make storage envelopes for seeds (or start driving into town to get bread every day instead of making our own) but there's a finite amount of home-made seed envelopes I need :?

Pilsbury
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I was thinking about the zero waste challengs and found 1 problem already, what to do with bones??? cant compost, cant recycle, no dog to feed them to.........

den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

feed them to the neighbours dog, hang them up for the birds, make them into charcoal and use them as a water filter or find some way of grinding them and use them as bonemeal on the garden

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pilsbury wrote:I was thinking about the zero waste challengs and found 1 problem already, what to do with bones??? cant compost, cant recycle, no dog to feed them to.........
Our council collects them with the other compostables.

what about making gravy? - can't you boil up bones, I guess that there are still bones left after that.

Just did a quick google to see what the native tribes of america did with the buffalo and got this

"Bones - knives, arrowheads (ribs) , shovels, splints, winter sleds, arrow straighteners, saddle trees, war clubs, scrapers (ribs), quirts, awls, paint brushes (hipbones), game dice"

http://www.nativeamericans.com/Buffalo.htm
and...... Twitter

Boots

Why would you NOT compost or bury the bones? :shock:

Bones have always been buried, haven't they? They breakdown surprisingly quickly..

As far as I understand it, the only reason adding meat products to a compost is discouraged, is because they attract vermin, ferals etc... and will smell if close to the house - but burying and sealing the product to decompose in the earth is different.

Is this a law over there about this, because I don't think this is the first time this has been mentioned?

.... and now you have my brain ticking over (yep, startin to ache already!) but burning bones... there would be no pollutant from incinerating them, would there?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think making war clubs sounds like more fun than composting :mrgreen:
and...... Twitter

Boots

... and here I was thinking you were a pacifist hippy dude.... :mrgreen:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well Boots all of us have to "strike out" for what we believe in and if that means cracking a few heads.............weellllllll..... :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Boots

Cor... i flat out refuse to believe you pair are anything other than big-hearted good guys who will always grin before you growl, and spread peace and goodwill as opposed to knuckle sandwiches!!

And don't be thinking of popping my bubble, or I will have to bop you with my bundled up blanket of denial! Have we got that sorted? :mrgreen:

Millymollymandy

I wouldn't mess with her!