Cycling from lands end to John O'groats

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

I can only think of one thing.... Fresh air ~ everywhere! :lol:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

All this talk has just remined me of the Queen video 'fat bottomed girls', remember it? the company that supplied all the bikes did not know all the women would be naked and demanded all the seats be replaced before the bikes were returned.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

ina

Don't know that video - but it's bad enough being a fat bottomed girl (well, middle-aged woman...) and riding a bike fully clothed! Used to do a lot of cycling; when I was 20 years or so younger, a bit fitter and less fat, 100 miles was no problem, and my bike only had 3 gears back then! Now I have one with 27 gears (haven't found them all yet), and getting to the village shop 4 miles away seems a problem.

Anyway, cyclists are always welcome here, so if you are passing and needing a place to stay or refuel, please call in.

Cheers
Ina

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cheers Ina, might just do that.
and...... Twitter

leedarkwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have been thinking about this all day (it has been a quiet day).

Why oh why go from one miserable place to another miserable place, (LE 2 JOGS) and have to get yourselves to and from your starting and finishing points? Why not cycle 1000 miles but go from one place of self sufficient interest to another on a circular tour? I am sure htat if you posted this on ACL you would be able to pick and choose between loads of stopping off points, if you want to go to Scotland then go to Findhorn or Lauriston Hall, not a shabby tourist trap. Wouldn't that make more sense?

Lee

ina

What about a round trip - up one side, down the other? It'll be a bit more than the 1000 miles... And Lee, you are right, there's probably not much to be gained by going from one end to the other except a photograph showing that you've been there, but there is life beyond Findhorn! I've only been up that road once, driving a car to Wick (for work), but the views are stunning, and I'd love to go again with more time. Well worth it. Fewer and fewer people (and all that comes with them, towns, roads etc), and consequently more of everything else.

Ina

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a bad idea actually, my Brother and my Mum both seem to think that going east west is a good idea. That was until I pointed out that would mean cycling the midlands. After living there for 27 years I really don't go back for choice :? Perhaps the eden project for a starting point then and over to the centre for alternative technology but where else?
and...... Twitter

shiney

Andy, how's your cycling equipment coming along for the ride?

I think more of a roundtrip 'tour' is a great idea. Just imagine all the great countryside you will see.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

shiney wrote:Andy, how's your cycling equipment coming along for the ride?

I think more of a roundtrip 'tour' is a great idea. Just imagine all the great countryside you will see.
Roundtrip tour is a very good idea am looking into it, thanks for the sugestion lee. I have the offer of some paniers and a couple of gas stoves so far for the equipment. Will be looking into getting sponsership from companies any suggestions?
and...... Twitter

shiney

How about Harvest? Or John's bikes in Walcot Street? Or go for a biggie bike company ~ they may lend you a bike! No harm in asking. Say you'll put a link on site or something. Or a seed company or Abel and Coles Organic Veggie Box company?

Sorry a lot of 'ors'!

ina

I could donate a bicycle... only it probably wouldn't be big enough for you. Touring bike from the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op, a few years old, but only done about 100 miles; wrong buy (I can't get used to the drop-down handlebars). As it is almost brandnew, I've not been wanting to sell it for peanuts, and so far nobody has offered me a decent price - I'd rather give it away free to a good cause. Any ideas, if you don't want it? (Or as a spare bike, in case yours is scrap by the time you make it to Scotland :wink: ?)

Ina

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

ine - actually I am looking for swaping my bike for a touring bike. How small is too small? I am only 5'8". Would be fantastic if you really don't use it, although if it is far too small then I guess I could not use it.

Shiney - funily enough I have just walked down walcot street and thought of the same places. I think next week will be my letter writing week. I wonder if the soil association or foe or someone would be interested? Are you goign to walcot nation day next Sunday?
and...... Twitter

shiney

What's Walcot Nation Day? Tell me about it.

I have my son's birthday party to contend with next Saturday, 12 x 5 years old's coming to tip the house upside down for 2 hours! :shock: So I am going to be recovering Sunday, but do let me know about whats going on.

I may find some energy to go!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not heard of it! 15,000 people desend on Walcot street, stalls set up live music, sound systems, traffic stopped. Mini festival really.
and...... Twitter

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Andy Hamilton wrote:Roundtrip tour is a very good idea
Well if you really want to go for a long cycle ride, how about the four cardinal points (most N, S, E and W places in mainland Britain) - Dunnet Head, Lizard Point, Lowestoft Ness, Ardnamurchan Peninsular?

Aside: I've just read someone's online CV; it said "The challenge was to start with nothing [naked apart from a bin bag] and travel for 100 days to the four cardinal points of Britain and Ireland without using money."

I'd sponsor you for that - and come and watch, too.
Stew

Ignorance is essential