Building an Aussie style barbie

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry Ina,

Snags = sausages - damn local slang again! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ha ha, I was about to reply but saw you already had! But do you know what a tattie is, Nev? Next she'll be mentioning neeps and then you may well be stuck! :lol:

ina

Yeah, but I've never tried neeps on the barbie... Neither haggis, which is what traditionally goes with tatties and neeps. But there is some good veggie haggis around nowadays!

By the way, in case any selfsufficient Scots are reading this, does anybody have a recipe for that? The vegetarian variety, I mean?

Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Guys,

Tattties and neeps is potatoes and turnips if I remeber correctly. :mrgreen:

how on earth can you have a vegetarian variety of something that is cooked in a sheeps stomach? :shock:

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Hi Nev

You are perfectly correct - you could survive in Scotland... Neeps are Swedes, i.e. Swedish turnips.

Most haggisses (if that's the plural of haggis!) aren't cooked in a sheep's stomach anymore, but come in a plastic skin (which is not eaten) or a tin. They contain a lot of grain (barley or oat meal), onions and spices anyway, so if you just replace the meaty bits with something non meaty, like pulses and other veg, it can be quite tasty. But I've never come across a recipe for that. Suppose I'll have to go and do a bit of R&D myself!

Cheers
Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fair enough Ina, and I though that the Scots were a very traditional bunch :wink: . Mind you, it must be popular with the sheep!

Nev

ina

Shouldn't think so - it's still lamb's meat and offal that makes a haggis! I'm sure those sheep couldn't care less whether they end up as haggis or kebab in their afterlife... :angel12:

Ina