The effect of having to lose weight

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

The effect of having to lose weight

Needs must for the good of the knees. I'm dreaming of 1st 7 lbs or nearly 16 kg. I went off on a change of life style activity and diet course years back (2012) and the weight has stayed off but the doctor wants more. Apparently the NHS system reckons I should be 9 st 10 lbs (just under 62 kg) - not been that weight since I was a teenager. Anyways. So careful eating and more activity. But of course there are issues. It's called a full wardrobe.

It's going to do being self sufficient no good as I shan't be reusing clothes that will be too big. As I'm going to be wearing things to rags I won't be recycling. And I shall be buying more as clothes are sort of necessary in the UK climate. I'm about to find out about Christmas or just thereafter how much the cost of clothes has risen. Best get saving then.

But I see nothing in the way of clothes that I will be able to adapt downwards as it's not a wardrobe full of skirts and dresses. And no I'm not adapting trousers - that's a skill too far.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: The effect of having to lose weight

I agree, Flo. I've lost 4 clothes sizes over the last couple of years-ish and nearly 5 (just bought some size 14 t-shirts - first time in about 30 years :cheers: ).
Fortunately, because of my almost complete lack of fashion sense I still happily wear some of the clothes that are a size or two too big (the really big ones went to a charity shop). Having said that it is quite nice being able to have one or two nice things as I haven't felt like wearing nice clothes for so long.
It might be worth having a look on Ebay - other folks seem to go up and down sizes quite often and don't hang on to their clothes, so they want to shift a job lot of the clothes they've got too small (or big) for. You can sometimes pick up some decent castoffs for a reasonable price. Unfortunately I can't say the same about charity shops.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo

Green Aura wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:35 pm It might be worth having a look on Ebay - other folks seem to go up and down sizes quite often and don't hang on to their clothes, so they want to shift a job lot of the clothes they've got too small (or big) for. You can sometimes pick up some decent castoffs for a reasonable price. Unfortunately I can't say the same about charity shops.
Charity shops do seem to get the dregs after people go visit the local Cash4Clothes shops around here. Sad thing when people go sell their clothes directly on the shopping street. Also a number of adverts for clothes appear on Facebook locally. Not that I'm into middle of the road Next type dresses. More a Cotton Traders type girl me.

ina

Over the decades, I never threw out what became too small... So I still have a wardrobe full of stuff that'll do me if I ever lose as much as I should! Some trousers can quite easily be taken down a size or two - used to do that when I was younger and losing weight was much easier.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Gosh these people who are good with a needle! Ina I'm of the class who can sew on a button and mend a worn out pocket but not a lot more than that. Never really learned any sewing skills and the husband that was used to be good with the sewing stuff so never any need.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We can't all do everything - you bring home the bacon, er sorry, beetroot :oops: :lol: .
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Flo wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:35 am Gosh these people who are good with a needle! Ina I'm of the class who can sew on a button and mend a worn out pocket but not a lot more than that. Never really learned any sewing skills and the husband that was used to be good with the sewing stuff so never any need.
I'm not saying it looked terribly professional - but it meant the pants didn't slip down... :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)