Vegetarian diet

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re: Vegetarian diet

Skippy, ultimately everything on this planet is solar powered. It is the only energy source we have ever had.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes I know , even a guy I work for could , with some truth , claim his V12 Ferrari is solar powered. All in jest really . To be pedantic geothermal and nuclear aren't ultimately derived from solar energy but I do get your point.

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Weedo - I think your argument about steak being a vegetable is what philosophers call reductionism - and by your argument that would suggest that cannibalism is really a variation on vegetarianism... :dontknow:

jacksprarrow
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've only reintroduced fish back into my diet, but before that, I was hardcore vegetarian for 10 years. Still unsure on the health benefits, but i mostly did it for ethical reasons.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had a few years as a vegetarian and that was for ethical reasons but my beliefs changed , or developed depending on ones point of view. I came to believe that the eating of animals was in itself not a wrong act. After all nature is full to the brim of one animal eating another and we don't see that as wrong . Then there was the " meat is murder" thing. If the taking of a life is murder do we not murder billions off lives when we grind down grain , boil beans , or idly snack on nuts? In the end I came to think that as long as an animal is well cared for during it's life then for that life to end by being consumed by another is more attuned to the natural order of things.
Oddly enough it could even be argued ( well I've seen it argued) that being farmed by man is a species survival strategy. Cows and pigs haven't become extinct and won't as long as we continue to eat them but the dodo for instance is long gone .