Hi from SW Ireland

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Henny Penny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi from SW Ireland

Hello there! Can't believe I've not got round to joining this forum before but hey, better late than never :wave:

We're living on just under an acre in NW Co. Cork. Everything has to be grown in raised beds (the number of which are increasing year on year) as our plot had no topsoil whatsoever. Fortunately a neighbour has cattle and so we get a huge pile of manure with straw for free every year. I get worryingly excited by composting! This year I've also created a dedicated asparagus bed (for some cheap corms I got in Lidl) and another which I transplanted my poor, previously neglected rhubarb to.

I have a small polycarbonate greenhouse (that has to be patched up regularly when the gales come through) and this year we've built ourselves a 30ft polytunnel using ESB duct pipe, recycled scaffold boards, an old trampoline and free, partially spent growbags from a friend's strawberry farm. The greatest cost was the cover, which we didn't skimp on. So, this will be my first year being able to grown anything more than basil and a few tomato plants under cover. Next experiment is going to be a hotbed in the tunnel.

I keep chickens (only 4 hens and a rooster) and this year we're going to try and raise some chicks to increase our little flock's size. We have a pond project on the go with a view to getting ducks but realistically that's going to be one for next year I think.

We're off grid in terms of electricity and generate our own power via solar panels, a wind turbine and a back-up genny.

What else? Oh I homebrew a lot - mostly fruit/veg wines and weird ales - and I have a preserving/pickling addiction!

Today it's sleeting out there and I'm feeling pleased with myself for not having planted my spuds yet. Two years ago they all got frost damaged...on 29th April!

Looking forward to learning more and maybe being able to share although I am but a novice!

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Hi from SW Ireland

Hello Henny Penny, welcome to the ish. What weird ales do you brew?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi HP, welcome to Ish. :wave:

You don't sound like that much of a novice but have a look around, ask questions and stick your twopennerth in where you want - everything welcome.

We've got this snow here on the high ground but lovely and sunny, currently, nearer sea level - great weather for Spring, eh?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Henny Penny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Brewtrog wrote:Hello Henny Penny, welcome to the ish. What weird ales do you brew?
Thanks for the welcome.
So far I've brewed nettle beer, dandelion ale and ginger beer.
Bought OH the Booze for Free book for Xmas (really a present for myself lol) and so will be experimenting with more recipes this year :drunken:

Henny Penny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Green Aura wrote:Hi HP, welcome to Ish. :wave:

You don't sound like that much of a novice but have a look around, ask questions and stick your twopennerth in where you want - everything welcome.

We've got this snow here on the high ground but lovely and sunny, currently, nearer sea level - great weather for Spring, eh?
Thanks for the welcome.
Ha ha - Spring has definitely decided to delay her appearance here although we did have some lovely mild weather a week or so ago.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi HennyPenny - you sound just the sort of person who'll be at home here.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Henny Penny, welcome from a little bit further south and west on the Sheeps Head peninsula. :wave:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina

Hiya! :wave:

You've got me wondering now - how did you manage to use a trampoline in building your poly tunnel? :scratch:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Henny Penny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

ina wrote:Hiya! :wave:
You've got me wondering now - how did you manage to use a trampoline in building your poly tunnel? :scratch:
Hiya! It was the remains of a friend's trampoline that had taken off in a gale and expired. So all the metal tubular legs etc were going begging. They were perfect for setting in concrete to provide the uprights to slide the ducting over (to then form the hoops). Scaffold poles would have done the job but never look a gift trampoline in the mouth!

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

Welcome!!! :wave:
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.

ina

Henny Penny wrote:
ina wrote:They were perfect for setting in concrete to provide the uprights to slide the ducting over (to then form the hoops). Scaffold poles would have done the job but never look a gift trampoline in the mouth!
Ah! I had visions of pumpkins jumping up and down... :wink:

Yeah, trampolines and gales don't seem to go together. I use what I can get, too.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Welcome, I live in Ireland as well, in the North West, I must have done something in a previous life, or I would have been sensible and gone to live on the Sheeps Head and grow exotic fruits like some people can here

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Hi & welcome
Greetings from Collingullie - I'm probably the most southern member and not an actual Isher (yet, its a retirement plan) but love the site.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight