Get birds to feed from

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Get birds to feed from

a set of three Kingfisher Birdcare squirrel-proof feeders. It's a set of three, one for peanuts, one for fat balls and one for seed. They're attached to a wooden bird feeding station, the type with a roof over a table. They've been there a couple of weeks already and nothing seems to have been taken. It's all for a very old lady who would really like to see the birds feeding so any tried and tested ideas would be preferred over try this or that and see what happens ideas.

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Get birds to feed from

There is a lot of natural food out there at the moment with the mild weather so maybe they will come when (if) the weather changes.

Our weather changed and the tits and sparrows were practically banging on the door. Made some delicious (!) treats with pork dripping, rendered lamb fat, walnuts, our own dried grapes, all home grown good stuff....totally ignored. They are still trying to get into the whole walnuts in a box on a table. I'm sure they'll come in time (like when I'm not watching)

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Get birds to feed from

Have you put out any on an open feeder? They may not associate strangely shaped objects with food yet and the open obvious source may draw them in

Once they are around they are more likely to investigate

And hey, squirrels gotta eat to!
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln