Kitchen scraps in compost bins

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Kitchen scraps in compost bins

I think sawdust poses an explosion risk. I remember someone getting badly burned a few years ago by throwing a handful of sawdust on their woodburner and it blowing back out. I'm not sure how that would affect a huge incinerator though. :dontknow:

Unless it's something like preservatives I can't think why you can't put it in your own compost.

I just console myself with the idea that it's keeping someone in a job, thinking up these things. A rare commodity these days. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes I see what you mean by the explosion risk. Funnily enough my father was a furnace controller at a council incineration plant but I can't remember him saying anything about the risks of sawdust although I can remember standing with him listening to the aerosol cans going bang.
It does seem strange that sawdust shouldn't go in the composting bin although I suppose the worry there is people dumping treated timber dust and chippings. A friend of mine was also warned about putting used animal bedding , which in his case was wood based used for his rabbits , in the compost bin too which to me seems even odder . I think I've mentioned it before that I've visited a local compost farm and have seen council vehicles dropping off garden waste the majority of which seemed to be evergreens , pines and laurels .
The comment about peeling vegetables outside so that it's garden rather than kitchen waste strikes a chord too. I do house and garden maintenance and see that sort of thing all the time in that some seem to consider anything from the garden can go in the brown bin . This can include not only vegetable matter but also plastic plant pots , bricks and all sorts of junk :roll:

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'm just glad I have my own compost and don't have to worry about all the rules and regulations! The only thing that I might not want in there is if I ever have meat with bones - might happen maybe once a year or so... Otherwise - as my neighbour said - we don't have kitchen scraps, we have a dog. In my case cat. ;) And I don't tend to have leftovers; I eat what I've paid for!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Perhaps to them, kitchen scraps means any leftovers, raw or cooked, including non-vegetable ones, egg shells and other bits of food of any sort. I would call the specifically vegetable stuff vegetable trimmings.

dave45

I trap rats, execute them with an air rifle and bung the carcasses in the compost bin.

Is this OK?

ina

Wouldn't that attract more scavengers - possibly even more rats? I think I would rather give them decent burial. (With decent I mean a certain depth - not the full religious service! :mrgreen: )
Ina

doofaloofa

Health and safety is a minefield

But don't tell them that
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

ina

doofaloofa wrote:
But don't tell them that
That's always best... :roll:

Come to think of it, if ever I find the remains of a mouse of bird that my cat has got (only happens once or twice per year), I tend to chuck them into the compost bin, too.
Ina

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

But , but , you have now told them on a public forum . Knock on the door in the near future ? :(

ina

I shall deny everything and invite them to go through my compost bins to check!

The compost will greatly benefit from being turned over... :mrgreen:
Ina

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

That reminded me of a joke I saw on FB.

There was an old man whose son had been sentenced to life for a Mafia related murder. He had been a good son who'd always helped his Dad prepare the ground for growing their vegetables. The old man received a card from his son apologising that he wouldn't be able to help him this year and saying he'd see what he could do. A few days later a dozen policemen turned up and dug over every square inch of his garden and then left. Shortly after he received another card from the son. "I hoped that helped, Dad. I told them that's where the bodies were buried".

I'll get me coat :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

happyhippy

Abit of an update!Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and ideas,much appreciated and to GA for the very funny joke lol
Apparently one,yes I repeat one rat has been sighted by someone.They called the authorities and it seems this person has told the councellor the rat is there because we (as a collective body)are adding veg/fruit peelings to our compost bins!So now we're all banned from doing so!Ridiculous!I'm guessing all other lottie sites also have enforced this silly rule?So now reluctantly I am throwing my compost material in the general waste wheelie bin.So dislike doing that but we have no other choice!Might give up the lottie on principle actually.Ive never been one to love rules and regs and this one tops the cake! :roll: :angryfire:

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

So you're only banned from composting on the allotment? In that case I'd compost at home , buy one bag of garden compost , use it and refill it over and over again from the bin at home so you are "only " taking a bag of compost to the allotment.

ina

Green Aura wrote:
I'll get me coat :lol:
Brilliant! :mrgreen:

And as to rats going for veg and fruit peelings in the compost - wouldn't they very much prefer whole fruit and veg rather than just peelings? So you won't be allowed to grow fruit and veg on your lotty next???

Arghhhhhh! The stupidity of councils everywhere...
Ina

dave45

rats digging into the compost heap tend to aerate it quite well, I find

plonk a baited rat trap nearby to catch the buggers