Old dogs........

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Old dogs........

OK...Not so active these days,and I want to learn something new.To be precise,I want to learn how to use a sewing machine.I'm sure most of you will snort and say easy ,and my old man,when he became crippled at about my age taught himself,and ended up making all us kids clothes,but he never showed me.Years ago there were Singer shops,where you could learn,but there's nothing I can find now.
So any suggestions,re books,websites etc, gratefully recieved.I've got an unused Toyota machine I bought at an auction 15 years ago for £4,probably needs a service now (!).Should I get some other machine ?? Suggestions please.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Old dogs........

If you ask your local WI they will probably have members who would give you a crash course, or any handicraft group in your area, bet they would help out.

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Lidl are doing sewing machines at the moment
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I don't know about your Toyota machine, but the old one I inherited from my mum has survived a huge amount of neglect and is still going strong, so yours might be alright. You probably want someone who knows their way around a sewing machine to have a look at it. Is there a haberdashers near you? They're often good sources of information and contacts - obviously it's in their interests to encourage sewing.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'm still using the Brother machine I got for my 21st coughty cough years ago. It still works perfectly. If you have a look online you'll probably be able to get hold of a service manual (and a user manual if you haven't got one with it) for your make and model.

Your local night school (or whatever they call them these days) usually do beginners sewing classes - well worth looking up. Otherwise YouTube is a goldmine, someone will have put up videos of everything from threading the machine to machine embroidery.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm..DND,I'm a simple bloke,the WI seems a bit frightening,ditto the evening classes,nearest would be best part of an hour away.
Rachel,there is a sewing shop in town(actually about 90 yards from my front door(!))so I'll ask in there.I s'pose it's going to be Youtube,inthe end.

doofaloofa

For her 40th the other half wanted a Bennina

the Rolls Royce of sewing machines

€400's worth

It's amazing what you can do with a machine and a little knowledge
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

boboff

Jerry, have you looked on You Tube?

It is amazing what is on there, and I know my wife has used it to improve her "quilting" you have to put up with annoying american accents, but it is a small price to pay.

Also what about local college or even schools, speak to the adult learning coordinator at the council?

Good luck with it.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mate,I have thought about that,there's a education thing round here for old Grunters called the university of the 3rd age,or something,but they mostly do stuff like local history and such.
I think it's inevitable that I'll go down the Youtube route,which is a shame(I s'pose a lot of this is just regret that my old Dad never showed me).I promise to post pics of my first efforts,that'll give you all a good laugh.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Just remember it isn't like driving a car - the harder you press the pedal doesn't get more fun, it just gets more scary! :lol:

And remember to keep your fingers away from the needle. Other than that it's an enjoyable procedure turning shapeless pieces of cloth into all manner of wonderful things. Start with something simple like a cushion cover or tea towel, just to get the hang of sewing in straight lines and getting the hang of the machine.

I await the results - I'm sure they'll be fab.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

bonniethomas06

Good for you OJ, don't forget sewing blogs either - there are millions and they are really good. Most are admittedly about sewing womens clothes, but I guess the principle is the same?

This one is good: http://didyoumakethat.com/

Good luck!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for that,I've decided to service the machine myself(!) so first steps about the end of next week.I'm rather looking forward to this.

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

My electric machine is up the creek at the moment .
Need to work out why the thread from the spool keeps snapping.
Going to have a play with it on Monday using the manual and try to get it going.
Otherwise it's back to using my good old manual singer.
I must look up the registration number and see how old it is.
I paid a fiver over 30 years ago from a second hand shop and it's been brilliant .
It's made every thing except the kitchen sink.
The old ones are best . Built to last if u give them love and care.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spool tension adjustment, obviously.

( :dontknow: but it rings a bell :iconbiggrin: )
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)