cucamelon recipes??

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

cucamelon recipes??

Had loads of these little cucumber melons, grown this year for the first time and now am wondering what I can do with them. We have eaten them raw, made bruschetta , and seen a recipe for pickles. Has anyone else tried them? wondered about stir frying them also. Wish our grandson lived near, he would deal with the glut very quickly...loves cucumbers and would eat them off the plants!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: cucamelon recipes??

You could make salsa, tzatziki, or flavoured gin maybe (is it Hendricks that's cucumber flavoured?). Were they easy to grow? My 3 year old loves cucumbers too so I doubt we would get overrun!

battybird

tzatziki...hadn't thought of that. Don't like Gin, but maybe vodka???? Very easy to grow, did it in the greenhouse and looked very weedy but have had loads of fruits and there are lots more coming.The instructions say that they grow outdoors and prefer arid conditions, maybe they flourished when we were away for two weeks and had a heatwave and minimal water? Prefer ordinary cucumbers really ( and we had loads of those...seeds from Portugal tasted nicest!) but this was an experiment. Nice to snack on, and very pretty to look at!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

SusieGee

My sister in law allegedly gave me a cucamelon plant earlier this year. I was very excited. It turned out to be a gherkin plant :( then again so did the two 'cucumbers' she gave me. Note to self for next year - grow your own :lol:
Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have grown them this year for the first time, I call them Mexican mouse melons. They are romping away in my polytunnel in the northwest of Ireland, they have a slightly limey aftertaste which is really pleasant, they have been going into my salad bags in the last few weeks and people seem to really love them. Maybe they would be nice halved, dipped in salt and eaten with a slurp of Margarita I don't know why, I have only ever had a Margarita a few times but they just keep bringing that flavour into my mind. I may well pickle any surplus I have, if the locals don't eat them all first that is