Stringless runner beans?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
happyhacker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Stringless runner beans?

Mine are starting to get bigger. At what optimum length should I pick them? Thanks.
---------------------------
Thanks for your time.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Stringless runner beans?

I'd pick them quite small and very often.

I have to confess that I no longer grow string beans because if you let them go too far the whole skin appears to turn into razor blades!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is one of those trial and error situations where you can only judge by experience.
What you should look for are bean pods that are full size, but only just ! Don't pick them too small or you will waste a lot of your potential crop, but don't leave them too long or they with be not only stringy but fibrous throughout.
Sorry, but only by doing will you know (old Chinese proverb that I just made up :iconbiggrin: )

Enjoy your beans.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm the same as you Maggie in that I'm not growing runner beans this year, just the 2 of us and not particularly wanting runners as a veg every day, they tended to quickly get far too old and were wasted.
This year I'm growing twice as much climbing French beans, then we can have them fresh any time, those we miss can be shelled for flageolet and those that get old and dry will be shelled for haricot.
Potentially nothing wasted, cos I'm a mean old sod. :lol:
Tony

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Although I do grow those spindley French things,I think they're mainly for effete foodies.
Let's face it , Runner beans are REAL beans to be eaten with proper food like Bacon and suet pudding.

Anyhow,to get back to the question,it's a matter of length:width,so there's no hard and fast rule,I grow Enorma,they are very early, and heavy cropping.To ensure they are never stringy(and here's where I disagree with Tony,who has in general forgotten more about veg growing than I'll ever know,even though he's lost it on the bean front,) I always pick them young , no longer than 6-8 inches.50 plants are enough to keep a family off 5 in 1-2 servings per week.Another big plus,they also make my favourite chutney,and as I salt most of them,they don't take up much space/energy in the freezer.

happyhacker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for your feedback. I do like the teasing banter! In fact I have 52 canes and just under 60 plants of which about 15 are stringless but I correct myself as they are what someone called "French climbers". I have picked the first few at 15cm and will cook them later. I usually freeze a lot and sell them outside the house for £1/lb but still consume a lot so by Xmas am looking a bit like a beanpole myself. Good diet I think!
Thanks for your time.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those old and stringy and tough dried out runner beans can also be shelled, dried completely (I recommend packing them with rice grains) and eaten during the dark months. And very nice they are too.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tried that Mike and boy don't they make you fart !
Plus the skins remain tough, or at least the ones I tried were. I did use some making a kind of fudge that Maggie posted on here some time ago, but they had to be skinned as well.
Very nice fudge though.
Tony

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep - those skins do need to be removed, which is a pain in the bum if you're cooking for a party. But it's no bother just for the two of us - they're big beans, after all. I asked OH if they made her fart and now she's gone off in a huff. I've no idea why :dontknow:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

happyhacker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

So where's that fudge recipe Maggie? Can one use broad beans for it as well? Flatulence, dear boy, flatulence, if you please!
Thanks for your time.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just for you, happyhacker. With thanks to whichever site I obtained it from (link lost in the mists of time).

BLACK BEAN FUDGE adapted from chiropractor Dr. Debbie Chance
15 oz can organic black beans, rinsed and drained (protein, fiber)- I used black/gungo/carlin/pigeon peas but process really well as thick-skinned
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (medium-chain saturated fat or: antibacterial, anti-viral, weight-loss promoting)
3/4 cup organic, unsweetened cocoa powder (antioxidants)
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup raw agave nectar (your sugar) - wouldn't touch this, I used honey
2 Tbsp shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes (same as coconut oil above)
coarse sea salt (non-iodized, balanced in minerals; not the same “heart issues” as table salt or NaCl)

Place all ingredients except salt in food processor. Process till smooth. Press glop into a pie shell or 8 x 8 pan. Top with salt. Place in fridge till firm. Cut into small squares and serve.

I'm guessing you can use any bean, although the colour may be a bit odd with some. I think white beans would be good.
Maggie

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I never bother to eat runners now, although I still grow them for sale. I think the flat french beans (like Hunter, Helda etc) are superior in just about every respect. Flavour, texture, ease and speed to prepare, no waste. Ability to grow in a tunnel for early crops.
The only real downside I've noticed, is that on my site which is exposed to winds from every direction, they are even more susceptible to wind damage than Runners.
I just make sure I've got enough in the tunnel so I always have some for my dinner :mrgreen:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aha, another effete foodie :lol: (see above)
I suffer from winds too, anytime of year nowadays, so I grow all mine in a tunnel.
Tony

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

One thing you Epicureans are glossing over,is the storage.Salting is a far better method of preserving beans than freezing,and I've never heard of those tiddly things being kept anywhere other than in the white thing in the corner.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maggie