Higher fat meat rabbits?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Higher fat meat rabbits?

Hi All

I will be looking to bread rabbits for meat in the near future and was wondering if there is a breed that is higher in fat?

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Higher fat meat rabbits?

One of the things about rabbits is that they produce lean meat. You can get big rabbits but they are really fat.
You want to go for something like a New Zealand white/red and something with a bit of flemish in it. They will produce about 2 kgs rabbits.
Here in Hungary, lots of people produce rabbit for meat so the cost of a non-pedigree meat rabbit is quite low.

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks

I wonder if there are any other small animals I can breed that have a higher fat content

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

You need to move to the feathered type, like ducks and geese. I can't think of any small (ish) furry animal that you can eat except maybe coypu, better known as water rats. They are actually round tailed beavers and they can be eaten in pate or stews. They used to be farmed for their fur, but then the fur lost its popularity and they were let loose in the wild. They are pretty destructive to lakes and rivers. And as far as eating them, their meat is also very lean. In France people call them the river hare. They seam to have a very similar taste to rabbit...