Learn how to forage for wild food?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Samuel1988
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Learn how to forage for wild food?

Morning all,

First post on the forum!

Was just wondering how can I learn how to forage for wild food?

If anyone could recommend any books I can carry to learn, any good blogs to read or youtube channels to follow that would be great!

Also any good sources of information which aids as a good seasonal calendar to carry would be top!

Thank you for your help,

Samuel

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Re: Learn how to forage for wild food?

Great one is by Collins Gem - Food for Free and can be picked up very cheaply on Amazon for about £3.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Hi Samuel, I like the River Cottage guides by John Wright. There are three - hedgerow, mushrooms, and seashore.

For a bit of shameless self promotion, you might be interested to read about my foraging challenge that I did last year: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blo ... -page.html
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Niele da Kine
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 21.27
longitude: 157.82

If you know anyone who forages, ask if you can go along. Each geographic location will have it's own things to forage and a book may not cover all the ones in your area. But at least a book is a place to start.

Kaiya
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I second both book recommendations above - Food For Free is brilliant, as is RC Hedgerow (I haven't read Mushrooms or Seashore yet as I don't live close enough to the sea and I need to work up to mushrooming).

In terms of where to start - blackberries, sloes, rosehips, elderberries, elderflowers, crab apples and hawthorne berries are very accessible starting foraging foods. All easily recognised, with little danger in confusing them with others - the most risky would be hawthornes as they are little reddish berries, but just remember that they are part of the apple family so share the star shaped bottom and the same pip shape.

Plus combine the lot with the Hedgerow Jelly recipe from RC Preserves and you've got yourself a result!

jamesintayside
Tom Good
Tom Good

Niele da Kine wrote:If you know anyone who forages, ask if you can go along. Each geographic location will have it's own things to forage and a book may not cover all the ones in your area. But at least a book is a place to start.

That is good advice.

Maybe also try just having a look around and asking -
my inspiration a great blog http://tinyallotment.wordpress.com/