Building a chicken run - help please?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
VM
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Building a chicken run - help please?

Somewhere on the web in past year or so I saw someone's useful instructions about the chicken run they built. But I have no idea where!

We had chickens at our city allotment for three years and partner built a very good run which gave them plenty of room and kept the foxes out. We will be getting chickens again now we are in village with a big garden, but they will still be in a fixed run as we don't want them eating the veg from the garden.

There is a large section of concrete in one corner of the garden so I have decided to try having the run on that with deep litter on top. We will build our fruit cage adjacent to the run so we can let them out into that for some extra space.

The site I found - see above - was useful because it dealt with a run on concrete (I think), and it was made of heavy beams so that it sat securely on the concrete but I think was not fixed into the ground with posts.

And it discussed how to keep chickens on hard standing with litter (I think!).

If anyone has any idea of what I'm talking about or any useful pointers etc to suggest, I'd be very grateful.

I want some photos so partner can see what I'm talking about when I'm saying this is the sort of thing I'd like us to do!
Flat Earth, Big Sky - blog about moving from city to country, life on the edge of the Lincolnshire fens - http://vmarris.wordpress.com

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Building a chicken run - help please?

Hello, if you are still around, I found http://www.backyardchickens.com/ really helpful when we were fixing our hens' place.