Still having login problems!

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Still having login problems!

I'm still having problems with the "Log me in automatically" tick box. If I tick it I automatically get logged out as soon as I go to a new topic or try to reply to a topic. All the other forums I belong to don't do this and neither did this one before the shift.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Still having login problems!

Me too, although not from topic to topic. Just when I leave the site.

Feels a bit weird - I've been permanently logged in for years, until the last few months :(
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, here's a weird one.
I thought I would investigate by logging out and then back in. On the log-in page I noticed that the 2 boxes "log me in automatically" and "hide my on-line status" were NOT ticked and I left them unticked.
Got in OK and then left the site, clicked on my SS bookmark and ..... straight back in without logging in.
So I have no idea what the problem is, sorry.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have had no problems staying logged in ............... until two minutes ago when I thought I would log off and then back in, now it won't stay logged in, slightly odd, but then I haven't logged out for ages

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I log in without ticking 'Log me in automatically' as that hasn't worked for me since the site moved. I get the screen saying that I have logged in successfully, so click on View New Posts (or whatever it is called). I am then taken to the login screen again. It takes a couple of tries to actually stay logged in for long enough to view anything!
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

Im having the same problem too. keeps logging out.

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure why this is happening, I think it's because the software the forum runs on isn't compatible with the new server. Will look into it, sorry again!

bluearsefly67

Hi all,
I've been looking into this this morning. The issue lies (I think) with old cookies on your systems. Because the forum has moved server and domain in recent months, some of the old cookies may be causing these problems.

To attempt to resolve this, I suggest that you remove all cookies associated to selfsufficientish.co.uk and .com that you have on your system. [here's how http://www.wikihow.com/View-Cookies ].
You will have to login again, because your browser would have forgotten the settings!

The active session is set to 1 hour and will log you out after 1 hour of inactivity, this may be different from the old server but is a standard setting.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Dan

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

bluearsefly67 wrote:Hi all,
I've been looking into this this morning. The issue lies (I think) with old cookies on your systems. Because the forum has moved server and domain in recent months, some of the old cookies may be causing these problems.

To attempt to resolve this, I suggest that you remove all cookies associated to selfsufficientish.co.uk and .com that you have on your system. [here's how http://www.wikihow.com/View-Cookies ].
You will have to login again, because your browser would have forgotten the settings!

The active session is set to 1 hour and will log you out after 1 hour of inactivity, this may be different from the old server but is a standard setting.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Dan

Nope not possible. The computer network here at work automatically deletes cookies everytime IE is closed. I tried it just now and 4 times it logged me out after I had logged in just because I clicked on "view active topics". That can't be anything to do with cookies. If I'm logged out and then log in, why does it log me out just because I've gone to a new page or a new search.
Malc

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a sweep thing that I do and it removes cookies on a regular basis and clears out the cache, is that the same sort of thing?

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Similar. The instructions above actually allows you to delete specific cookies. I tried it at work (using IE) and at home (using Mozilla Firefox) and it still makes no difference. Log me in automatically actually means log me out automatically.
Malc

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

Cant be that here either. set my mac to Auto deletes all cookies every time i quit the browser 6yo who can work the web,last thing i want is him logging into some of my... other accounts!

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I seem to be staying logged in

Is the problem fixed?
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

No it's not fixed. It's annoying me to the point of not wanting to use the forum any more.

Bloody Hell, I didn't even use the "automatic login" option when I replied this time and it logged me out as soon as I looked at another topic. This is really rubbish.
Malc

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am having the same problem, the only way I can bypass it is to access it via a topic notification in my email account, I have logged in, gone to topics, been logged out again and then have to log in, have now given up with this method and just use the former method