Anderson style

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Anderson style

Hi there,
Long time since I visited here .... loads gone on.
So we are selling our 10 acre block and buying another, temporarily we will be living in Anderson style shelters that we will be making out of grain silos.
I have most of it organised but was wondering if anyone has any inspirational ideas regarding insulation of them.
We'll have a huge log burner centralized in it to keep us warm but still I think we could do with a bit of insulation if possible.
We've lived in tents in the middle of winter before now and stayed warm so I'm thinking it's not that hard, a double layer of dead air works but how will I do this with a steel outer.
Just think Anderson shelter and that's what we'll be living in, a half round corrugated tin outer shell ... how will we attach insulation to it.
:-)

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anderson style

My parents had a nissan hut, they had some insulation sprayed on the inside, I think this may be quite expensive. Adobe on the outside may be an option

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

pitch tent inside the nissan huts

Longer term dry line (that is, build a second wall inside the steel shell) and insulate behind. This could be pricey though

How abot stacking straw bales on the walls/roof and covering with a tarp?
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would actually dry line the place and insulate, we used that recycled glass bottle stuff. You then have a really great place for guests or woofers

doofaloofa

Condensation build up is an issue

Best to vent if possible

doofaloofa

If you were to use the layer of strawbales under tarp, the bales could still be used as bedding after the accomodation is no longer required, so in effect is almost cost neutral long term. Maybe worth investing in a good tarp as a prudency dividend?

Another interesting idea is to build straw bales as an internal arch agaist the inerior wall of the structure. It could potentially be self supporting? I'm no engineer though. A central load bearing member could be quite discreet

Fun experimenting possibilities

Because the level of insulation from the bales would be high, less risk of condensation on the inside of the steel

Internal reduces available space, but gives you oppertunities to fix things to the walls

I vote Straw bale!

doofaloofa

i think the corrugations could play a usefull role in venting the steel /bale interface

If there is an area that allows the full length of the structureaccest to a ventalation system the up curves will leave a cavity that spans the circumferance of the cross section

This allows air to circulate freely where the strawmeets potentially wet steel

The ventilation system could bee as simple as a length of perforated drainage pipe running the length of the structure with one end pokeing out with a humidity operated fan

doofaloofa

OP

I see you are NZ

Sheeps wool?

(Thanks for the flat worms by the way)

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the replies :iconbiggrin:
I think straw bale is a good option inside but it takes up a lot of our valuable space .... maybe we could find a way to halve the bales so we still get the insulation value but reduce the area it takes up. We thought maybe if not straw bales we could maybe make an inner wood frame and cover with timber planks we've been given for free from shipping crates and the dead space between the timber and the iron outer would be enough for now.
It would be nice though to do the insulation properly, as said in one of the replies, then we could then use it for guest accommodation later on or we have even toyed with the idea of setting up 'Glamping accommodation'

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

doofaloofa wrote:OP

I see you are NZ

Sheeps wool?

(Thanks for the flat worms by the way)
LOL I'm not kiwi, originally from the UK.
Wool would be too expensive I think unless we bought a flock of sheep. And I don't really want to do that as we breed Arapawa goats and have a donkey so that's enough livestock for us at the mo.

John Headstrong

I saw something similar to what is being discussed the other day

this may give you a few ideas at least, earthbags is a cheap way of doing things.

http://www.dreamgreenhomes.com/plans/carriagehouse.htm