Food Dehydrators

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Food Dehydrators

I'm contmpatng buying one. And not too expensive recommendations? What are your experiences?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Food Dehydrators

Mine's a 9 drawer Excalibur. Secondhand of Fleabay. Splendid piece of kit.

(And apologies - I haven't posted that thing yet - I'll get it sorted early next week. Don't want it sitting around over the weekend.xx)
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Excalibur is top of the bill. I got a Stöckli, which is not quite as good, but certainly effective. Got it for €50 secondhand. I like the fact that it has a thermostat, since keeps the temp constant, independent of how much stuff you have on it. A wonderful thing would be for it to switchoff the heating (but keep on blowing) at a programmable time. That would be an awsome feature. Were I hunting for a dehydrator now I would try and find out if such a feature exists.

Milims

Green Aura wrote: (And apologies - I haven't posted that thing yet - I'll get it sorted early next week. Don't want it sitting around over the weekend.xx)
Don't worry GA, I'm that busy back and forward to hospital ATM I haven't time to notice the post! Thank you tho - I am looking forward to it :flower:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

I am really interested in getting one but I can't miss the money now. Is there anyone drying food without a dehydrator? Any advice or tips would be welcome. I tried my oven but nothing happened, even after 5 hours...
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

If your oven can be function below 50C or you can leave the light on in it, I've read you can use it in a similar way to a dehydrator. I've never tried it though as mine has neither.

I've used a low oven but you have to watch pretty much constantly to make sure your produce doesn't burn.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have this one - http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/househo ... =_i_QifCxD from Westfalia, it's very good, a bit noisy and not as flash or heavy duty as some of the other ones but a fraction of the price - I think I bought it when it was on offer about 5 years ago. I use it for mushrooms and herbs (a lot) which I dry fully, have also dried strawberries and other fruits for using in baking. Another good one was courgettes, dried them fully then blitzed to powder and use in stocks and soups, great way to preserve the glut ;). I've also dried tomatoes and fruit purees to a sun dried type texture and it's been good for that too.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

littlemissrose wrote:I am really interested in getting one but I can't miss the money now. Is there anyone drying food without a dehydrator? Any advice or tips would be welcome. I tried my oven but nothing happened, even after 5 hours...
Hm, not sure why your oven isn't working - that's the method I use. I dry thinly sliced mushrooms and fruit purees spread thinly to make fruit leathers. I have an old gas oven with an 'S' setting (for 'slow') and I use that, opening the door every so often to let the damp air out. What have you tried so far? I'd have thought you'd see some difference after five hours.

I also have a drying rack in my conservatory, described here: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blo ... o-dry.html, which I sometimes use for food as well as fire lighters and flowers. My conservatory has a door each end so I can open both to get a through draft. It's quite good for drying when the weather's reasonably warm.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'd really like one too, but don't want to spend too much. I like the look of the Andrew James rectangular one (called the "premium" one) which is £40ish. Their round one has a lot of very good reviews, and the rectangular one has fewer reviews but still good. I'd prefer a rectangular shape for fruit leathers. This one can have trays added to it too.
If anyone has experience of it I'd be interested.