Did it work???

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
MervDownunder
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Did it work???

I have spent quite some time attempting to join this site so that I could offer some advice on a topic that I chanced to come across. Hopefully, I have actually become a member, and am not typing this into a vacuum as so often occurs when trying to access a new site.
Computer hardware has been largely standardised for several decades (except for Apple gear), but no two websites anywhere on the net have any similarities in how to join. What we need is software USB: "Universal Sign-up Blank", a standard form that everyone can use to join any site with the basic data saved and only the membership name and password able to be changed (in case they have already been taken on that site).

Enough rant!!

Could someone please respond (if this appears) so that I know I have succeeded. (If it doesn't appear, don't bother!)

Some personal info:
I am a 63 y/o solo male living in the south of the North Island of New Zealand, currently establishing a quarter acre semi SSish "farm" in a small town. I have been a long term organic gardener, but recent events and ill health have forced me to relocate and start anew. I should be able, within a few years, to grow most vegetables, fruits, and nuts to meet my needs. Chooks and rabbits will provide some protein foods, but others will need to be purchased. This website looks like being an interesting adjunct to my current knowledge and library.

Now to try and find the original post that caught my eye!

Cheers
Merv

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Did it work???

MervDownunder wrote:I have spent quite some time attempting to join this site so that I could offer some advice on a topic that I chanced to come across. Hopefully, I have actually become a member, and am not typing this into a vacuum as so often occurs when trying to access a new site.
Computer hardware has been largely standardised for several decades (except for Apple gear), but no two websites anywhere on the net have any similarities in how to join. What we need is software USB: "Universal Sign-up Blank", a standard form that everyone can use to join any site with the basic data saved and only the membership name and password able to be changed (in case they have already been taken on that site).
Well you certainly succeeded, so welcome to our group. :wave:

The main thing about joining as a new member is NOT to have a universal system. As a moderator I spend a significant amount of my time deleting spammers who are extremely clever overcoming any spamguard, so any form of "universal" membership forms would be quickly utilised and we would have a forum of 100% spammers.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome Mervdownunder, I have no idea how I joined this group, I must have been drunk and pressed all the right buttons in a moment of drunken clarity, because usually I can't make anything work, so I have no idea what your second paragraph is about, you lost me at computer hardware, but I know a grape from a spade, (cept in NW Ireland cos they mean the same thing), I find this place really helpful to find out stuff, I hate looking for things on Doogle because there is too much to look at and I lose interest, but I am often in and out of here learning all sorts of good tips and recipes

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi and welcome :wave: !What are you growing at the mo?

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Odsox wrote: we would have a forum of 100% spammers.
<Types> <deletes>
<Types> <deletes>

:iconbiggrin:
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

doofaloofa

What?

I've joined a cult?
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

MervDownunder
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the welcome.

Tony: I see your point about spammers. What's best for legitimate users would cause huge trouble for Admins.

Happyhippy: Being mid-winter in NZ, I don't have much in the garden right now. Silver beet, brocolli, brussels sprouts, lemons and mandarins, are the only things still producing. Pruned the grapevine, and planted some raspberry canes today. Seedling trays in the hot water cupboard for the first of the spring vegetables.

I have a number of fruit and nut trees ready for planting, and intend experimenting with growing in root restriction bags. The aim is to grow small, highly productive trees which can be moved when necessary, either for climate reasons (indoors in winter) or if I again have to relocate. Having established and then left 4 gardens and orchards over the past 30 years, I am reluctant to yet again put in all the effort for the next owner to benefit or destroy. It is soul-destroying to see your deep beds and fruit trees replaced with velvet lawns, rhododendrons, and plaster gnomes! If I have to move again, I will be able to take the trees with me, or give them to friends/family who will appreciate them.

This NZ website "http://fieldhort.co.nz/rural_article.html" has a lot of info on growing cherries and other trees in root bags. DISCLAIMER: My only connection with this company is that I am buying bags from them.

My initial group of trees for the root bag experiment consists of:
4 Avocados, 4 Hazelnuts, 1 Cherry, 1 Fig, 1 Orange, 1 Passionfruit.

Merv