Taking delivery of a dehydrator soon

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taking delivery of a dehydrator soon

After much consideration, have invested in an Excalibur 9 drawer dehydrator. Last year, I had the oven going non stop drying tomatoes and they were so good, I want to make more, but it is very expensive using the electric fan oven. Hoping to dry a lot of blackcurrants, herbs, flowers. Does anyone else have one, what do you make in it, have you any advice to offer, anything I should or shouldn't know, thanks

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Taking delivery of a dehydrator soon

Yes and I wouldn't be without it now. Very useful for all sorts of things here from drying apricots next month to giving saved pea and bean seeds a final low temperature flourish to make sure they're totally dry.
In fact it will be used tomorrow as it's shopping day and Supervalu have 3 pineapples for €2.00 and I love dried pineapple. :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great, thanks Tony, I did wonder about saved seed, it would be handy just to make sure it is properly dried before storing, do you do them for a short while? does it get hot in there? I love bananas and sometimes the local shops sell off ripe ones, guess I could dry those too.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Peas and beans I do until they "look right", usually about 8 hours on 25c, but I've never done any other seeds.
Yeah, I love dried bananas too, dried until they are leathery the same as pineapple. Other things we've dried are mushrooms when they're cheap, tomatoes (of course), onions when I had a load that insisted on bolting, apple rings and apricots, and I've dried fresh peas too, which are far better that bought dried peas, but I still prefer them frozen.
I did try drying figs but that was a disaster, they ended up like dry twigs, I also tried courgettes but that was a disaster too.

This year I'm going to try making my own sultanas. I have a 2 y/o seedless white grape vine in the greenhouse and this year it has a respectable amount on grapes on it. I did dry some bought grapes to test the theory and they were wonderful with a sweet/sharp taste, not like the bland over sweet Whitworth's ones, so I hope mine will work as I eat a lot of cake and buns
Tony

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yup, we use ours a lot too. - dulse, chillies, soaked oats, crispy nuts.

The only downside is I've got nowhere, as yet, to give it a permanent home. I'm sure it would get used even more if I didn't have to fish it out from under the table! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm dehydrating ............ everything, now, I am quite excited (but then I don't get out much)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snap !
Our house has smelt of warm pineapple for the last couple of days. Also a first for here, we have a couple of strawberries in there as well, I never thought that dehydrated strawberries sounded like a good idea, but some were on hand and if you ain't tried them you will never know.
Fun isn't it ? :cheers: ..... and I do get out, went to the big city today but it wasn't as much fun as dehydrating.
Tony

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

I want one now!

Got some specs etc?
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I splashed out and bought a 9 draw Excalibur, I need to dry lots of tomatoes and herbs etc, I think judging by what I have dried so far, a 5 drawer would have been too small. I looked on Ebay and there were much cheaper ones but I read a lot of reviews and was on another forum discussing different models and this one kept coming up as the best, it was 320 euro, but I hope to get years of service from it, I bought it from Juicers.ie, I thought buy local (Roscommon) and when I tracked it, it had been despatched from Gatwick :lol:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ours is still being used after drying those 3 pineapples, we bought a load of largish mushrooms yesterday which are shrinking as I type. I think dried mushroom are very underrated and really an essential when you only go shopping once a fortnight.

Ours is a cheapo one compared to yours Digger, ours is a 3 tray Stockli that I see costs about £105.* Plenty big enough for us as all our excess tomatoes are pureed and bottled. It's biggest load is the apricot harvest but that (so far) hasn't required more that the 3 trays as they conveniently ripen staggered over about 3 weeks.

* While searching that Amaz(ing) website for a price, I see that you can now get a 5 tray one for about £34-£35.
Tony

doofaloofa

Thanks guys

Most helpfull

What kind of size are they?

Are they shed friendly?
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

001 (3).JPG
001 (3).JPG (35.66 KiB) Viewed 5841 times
Adjustable thermostat (85-145 degrees F)
9 Dishwasher Safe Polycarbonate Trays
9 trays of 15"x15", giving 15 square feet of drying area.
600W motor and 7 inch fan.

It is quite a large box, it is sitting on top of my washing machine, you could put one in a shed if you have one that is fairly clean, I may put mine in our little boiler house. My first foray into dehydrating was pretty good, I did learn that things probably do need turning round from time to time to stop them getting over dry like the oregano I did. I have some jars of dried herbs, will keep on drying herbs, flowers, grasses, the smell of the herbs drying is gorgeous, I dried some bourbon roses the other day and it was really heavenly. I love my dehydrator, nearly as much as Doofa loves his sasafras

southeast-isher

really cool... i want one now too.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

diggernotdreamer wrote: I have some jars of <snip> dried grass,
You make hay in your dehydrator ?????? :shock:

Mine is 13" in diameter and about 10" tall with 3 trays on and does 0 to 70c
Tony

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Odsox wrote:
diggernotdreamer wrote: I have some jars of <snip> dried grass,
You make hay in your dehydrator ?????? :shock:

Mine is 13" in diameter and about 10" tall with 3 trays on and does 0 to 70c

:lol: Not quite, I have been drying oats, barley and that other funny thing that I don't know the name of with their stalks on, they fit on the diagonal, they are for dried displays of grasses, I give them to people as presents to put in a vase (if they feed them to rabbits or cattle that is up to them), it's a lady thing as are the dried flowers