Raw milk in Scotland

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Raw milk in Scotland

Hello, I am hoping to try making some cheese but discover that it is illegal for farmers to sell raw milk in Scotland and the amount I have to pay in P&P to set milk from England is high. Do any other Scottish based cheese makers have any tips on milk suppliers here or companies that sell online that have reasonable P&P charges? Thanks in advance!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Raw milk in Scotland

I buy online from England. 20 pints per month plus a pint of cream. Very expensive but I love it. Not one drop gets wasted. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Maggie, Thanks for that, can you recommend a supplier to order from? I'd prefer goats if you know any good suppliers but cows milk will do me fine too. Thanks Pam

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Seriously,have you thought about keeping a couple of goats yourself? Look at my old posts on this (ad bloody nauseum) you really don't need anything more than a decent garden..pm me, if you can stand the tedium.

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would love to keep goats, but not the right garden (or neighbours), we have chickens in one area but the rest of the chicken free area is quite nice garden now, having known my Auntie's goats in the past they are absolute rogues and would wreck everything. What I need is to find a nice goat farmer who will sell me his/her raw milk on the qt.

oldjerry

It is legal in England (not sure 'bout Scottieland) to sell raw goat milk so long as it's for pets................................(perhaps the dog could spare a bit).....................

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Interesting, what madness. I think it's illegal in Scotland to sell it at all.

oldjerry

My kids had nothing but raw goats milk ever 'till 2 yrs ago( they'll only drink skimmed uht now they think pastuerised cow milk tastes weird!!),but who the hell likes the taste of pastuerised goat milk?......soon as you heat it it smells like a Billy's bum.

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

From where can you get raw milk delivered? I've only been able to find 'local delivery' places. That's local to them, not local to me.

oldjerry

I'm not certain it's that easy.We never had to deliver our excess milk at all.People who came for it(strictly for pet's use,of course) often came from miles.One lady came from Dudley(at least 30 miles).The upside is goat milk freezes really well,so if you can find a source,have transport,and one of those magic white boxes in the kitchen,you could perhaps fetch some every month or two.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It is legal to sell raw "pet milk" in Scotland.

I buy my cows' milk from Hook and Sons, a direct supply farm. I tried third party online supplier who I could buy other things from too, but found their packaging crap and their customer service atrocious. I've had excellent dealing with Hook and Sons.

And no, I'm not on commission - sadly. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

I saw the Hook & Sons website, they seem to be the leading supplier and campaigner of raw milk. I think getting some goats milk sent in frozen packs will be my immediate solution, not many goat farms round here anyway

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

oldjerry wrote:My kids had nothing but raw goats milk ever 'till 2 yrs ago( they'll only drink skimmed uht now they think pastuerised cow milk tastes weird!!),but who the hell likes the taste of pastuerised goat milk?......soon as you heat it it smells like a Billy's bum.
We use pastuerised goat's milk(St. Helens or something similar) from the big horriblemarkets. Tastes all right to me. We did used to get some from a local farm which was unpastuerised and try to pasteurise it ourselves but it never seemed to go off really quickly.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot