Hello!

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
beccaknits
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hello!

Hi! I'm Becca, I'm 20 (already??!) and I love knitting. I'm a psychology undergrad at the University of Kent in Canterbury (though I originate from Somerset) and somehow almost finished my second year. I'm interested in all things eco-friendly though currently being a poor student living in my overdraft with very little free time I can't do too much about all the things I'd like to at the moment.

I'm vegan for both environmental and ethical reasons (alongside religious concerns, I'm Christian but that's not one of the main reasons for being vegan) and I've kept chickens before but sadly had to stop when I started uni though I definitely plan to get into that again as soon as possible!

I've joined up here so that when I graduate and have a little bit of money behind me I can get straight into supporting myself as much as possible with as little impact as possible :)

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Hello!

Hey becca

ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Milims

Hi there and welcome :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Thurston Garden

Ahoy :salute:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello Becca and welcome,
I'm not trying to knock your choices but may I ask why you keep chickens if you are a vegan? To my eyes it just seems a little "pointless" for want of a better word, what do you do with the eggs presuming that you don't eat them?

Pete

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Hi from a very snowy Midlands.
I have have had an allotment for about 3 years now. Last year whist working full time I managed to have home grown veg each week for most of the summer and autumn. It is divided into 60 raised beds with a shed, greenhouse and a pond. In my second year on the site I beat all the men and grew a 4 1/2 stone , Big Max, Pumpkin. Hence my user name. Looking forward to being able to chat rather than just browse.

beccaknits
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi! No, go ahead :D I had the chickens before I went vegan - though I do still eat their eggs as I know they're kept well and would be a waste product anyway, it's a choice between throwing it away or making use of them and the waste seems inconsiderate. It's a treat when I'm home from uni to be able to eat them and as we don't have a cockerel we know they're not fertilised eggs. (Yes I do still class myself as vegan, no I'm not the only one who thinks/acts like this! :P)

In terms of keeping them at all they have a nice outdoor run and plenty of room with us whereas where they were before they were in a shed with 40-50 other birds and rarely went outside as the farmer was a business farmer so it seems clear the "better life" is in my garden. I know that isn't what you referred to in your question but I've been asked before why I don't just set them free - the answer being foxes, they'd starve (bit pathetic are my chicks) and I really quite like them running around! :)

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for your explaination, it makes perfect sense. I'm prone to hating waste myself so I suppose the thought of all those eggs being chucked was what was troubling.
I've several friends who are vegatarian and at least one of them has attempted to become vegan but did find it a difficult lifestyle and he does like his cheese. He was saying that when he went on holiday to America last year it was very difficult to be a vegatarian over there never mind being vegan.
I agree that just setting them free isn't a great idea. Ok , so it would be "natural" for the foxes to feed on them but the chooks are still happier in your garden.

Pete

beccaknits
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I think it's a case of replacing foods rather than cutting them out - a change of diet rather than a restriction. I've personally found it easy enough most of the time (though if I really want something non-vegan I do allow it most of the time as I used to have an unhealthily dogmatic attitude to eating and I'd rather not let that happen again) - I definitely recommend just giving it a go for anyone who's wanting to try. Chickpeas, lentils and lots of veg!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've perhaps painted a worse than it really is picture of my friend. He does replace things rather than cutting out as you decsribe and generally doesn't have too difficult a job of it. I myself have tried a vegatarian diet before now without too much bother although I came to the personal conclusion that as long as the animal is treated well during it's life then it being eaten wasn't a problem.
My friends brother is also a vegatrian and makes it much harder work. He is very fussy about what he eats and the majority of veggys are off the menu because he doesn't like them, no chance for the chickpeas or lentils. He has a diet that has a lot of chips, some pasta and ketchup with most meals.

Pete

beccaknits
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Oh goodness, couldn't imagine not liking/eating veg... Poor guy!

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

My friends brother is also a vegatrian and makes it much harder work. He is very fussy about what he eats and the majority of veggys are off the menu because he doesn't like them,
It sounds like he'd be unhealthy whether he eats vegetarian or not. Might a simple book about vegetarianism/nutrition might help him on his way a bit?

I agree Skippy, it is the treatment which matters to me. Living always involves something else dying - just think of how agriculture has killed off the wildlife in so many places.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Annemieke wrote:
It sounds like he'd be unhealthy whether he eats vegetarian or not. Might a simple book about vegetarianism/nutrition might help him on his way a bit?

Unhealthy is probably right.Before he married his diet was largly egg, chips and beans. His wife has perservered over the years and with much nagging (or is it "life coaching" as I've heard it called?) has finally got him to eat a least a few vegatables although the brocolli he eats is done in a cheese sauce with a liberal coating of ketchup. Sadly though, salads, sweetcorn , mushrooms , peppers ,peas and much more is left to one side.

magicguitarman
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 55.8528
longitude: -4.2671

Hello and welcome,

I wish I could knit! Sadly one of those things that just doesn't work for me.
I view the world vicariously through comedy. Don't take me seriously.