Compost heap location

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Compost heap location

We managed to make some of the best compost we have ever made last year. We have some of those plastic compost bins that look like daleks. I took the already rotted contents of a couple of those and put it into a container made of pallets then covered it with an old plastic tarpaulin. We moistened the heap with urine (gathered over a couple of days) about once a week in the hot weather and turned it once or twice in 6 months. The result was a lovely crumbly brown compost.

Our garden is north facing and gets little sunlight (the compost is mainly used on the allotment). The heap is in the northernmost corner behind the chicken run by a 6 ft high fence so it will only get sunlight from about 3 in the afternoon from late spring to early autumn.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I realise this discussion is about how to do the job properly, but I just chuck everything in a heap (literally a heap - not even pallet sides), cooked food and meat included, and leave it for a year. The result is usually pretty good, though when I come to use it I do start by removing all the stuff that's growing on it and adding it to the next heap :lol:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

If you are starting a new plot or have a fallow break you could locate a heap there. this way any loss of nutrient into the soil can be regained the next season

I build mine dry from cavity blocks

so one important consideration is out of the wifes line of sightb :salute:
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

doofaloofa

jollie_8 wrote:Tell me the number of restaurants and institutions participate in food waste collection grand rapids mi, anybody know?
commercial composting grand rapids mi
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln