What are we all having for dinner?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: What are we all having for dinner?

Maykal wrote:Just made 4lbs of sausages from pork belly, pork shoulder, sage (from the balcony), apple, and blue cheese. Took about an hour but it's worth it as it only comes to about £2.50/lb. Basically premium sausage for the price of economy ones. Besides, you can't really find herby sausages here, mostly just cured ones or paprika ones (love paprika, but do miss the variety).

Anyway, those have been portioned off and frozen because I've got a kilo of fresh sardines (£2) to gut and grill for tonight!

blue cheese in pork sausages!! please explain!

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

What is it about liver that makes me love it so? Today I had the best meal ever - though I have many of those, actually.
Cooked: potatoes, kale, pumpkin. Fried: pheasant offal, onion, ginger. Covered with: pheasant gravy. Yum! Yum! Yum!
I do seem to get so enthusiastic about meat, nowadays. There's nothing wrong with vegetarianism, I was a veggie for years. But since I had cancer and don't absorb so well anymore, I am a glutton for the little bits of meat, and the offal. Luckily I've got neighbours who keep pigs, and sheep, so I can get them organic. Thank you Phil!
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

safronsue wrote:blue cheese in pork sausages!! please explain!
I like it! Works well with the apple and sage, especially if you leave it a little 'chunky' so it doesn't melt out completely when you cook them.

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

Chilli made with turkey mince. peppers from the freezer, allotment onions and chillies harvested from greenhouse last weekend. baked beans and not kidney beans (the devils food) with a big jacket spud, (ours again).

Belly filling food too warm you up

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mussels-in-cider (or Moules Normandes) again.. we'd been in town, and whilst recovering with a cup of tea once we'd got back our friendly neighbour rang the bell and presented a bucket of mussels, fresh off the boat this morning. Lovely, and too many to manage even after sending a portion back to the neighbour.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

just fresh green pesto on wholemeal fusili pasta. Cheap and easy yet tasty :-)

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I'v just made a big pizza which will do us for dinner too.
I use the tomatoes and veg sauce i made to preserve the veggies from the summer and it is THE nicest sauce ever! It's got tomatoes, courgettes, carrots, onions, garlic and peeled and de seeded roasted red peppers, all cooked together and then blended and bottled up and sterilized in the water bath. It's also got some salt & pepper, sugar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce for added flavor.

And the bread im using for the pizza is a naan bread recipe which i don't even measure and it always turns out grate. I'v had difficulty making bread here, i think the flour is different because it always comes out stodgy. But the naan bread is so easy to make. All it is is plain flour ( iv used bread flour and it works grate too ) oil, yogurt, dry yeast and baking powder, mixed into a sticky dough, leave to rise then shape it for the pizza, add your toppings and stick it in the oven. It turns out really soft and fluffy and it's the best bread i can make here. To make the proper naan all you need is to cook it in a hot frying pan with a lid, without any oil, for a couple of minuets on each side. It really is fantastic bread.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

Something from the freezer which is labelled as goulash but might be chilli. Too early to say. And baked potatoes.

Teadrinking
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 53.48294
longitude: 2.219382

Gnocchi with the most amazing ragu sauce ever made from toulouse sausages and tomatoes with fennel seeds and some dried herbs from summer AND psb and kale smothered in butter. Mmmm Celebrating tonight because one of the places I work just got some funding :iconbiggrin: . Happy happy.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

haggis mashed spuds ans swead yummy
Darn that Wabbit

Carltonian Man

Farm shop smoked sausages and from the lotty spaghetti squash, roasted JA’s and frozen runner beans using stock from yesterdays wild rabbit casserole. Perfect for a snowy Monday evening.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

To celebrate that we have no snow we had coronation chicken and salad last night. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:To celebrate that we have no snow we had coronation chicken and salad last night. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I trust the salad was home grown lettuce and tomatoes ? :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I wish - having spent the last month or so running round after various family members, the polytunnel is sprouting a fabulous array of weeds none, sadly, particularly appetising. :roll:

But the tomatoes are about to go in to germinate and it's a glorious day - sun's shining on the snow-capped mountains - so who knows what might happen.

Check out my new avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:Check out my new avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did ... nice to see the tunnel has survived so far this winter.

Diggernotdreamer very kindly sent me some Aurora tomato seeds that proclaim to be the earliest tomato to fruit. I am putting it through it's paces to see ....
I sowed them on the 2nd of January and they came up on the 7th with just a modicum of heat and are now doing well. They are destined for my unheated conservatory, so watch this space.

Lovely day here too, sunny, calm and 13 degrees although rain is forecast for this afternoon.

.........and to get back on topic, I'm making a Sortov Hotpot tonight, one of those unrepeatable dishes made from whatever leftovers I can find, with potatoes on top.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.