weight loss 2013

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: weight loss 2013

Second fast day of the week. Lots of coffee and dinner is something involving squash, sweet potato, bulgar wheat & tomatoes. It should have a snappier name, really.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I'v got a big chunk of pork marinating in the fridge, no idea what cut it is but it's boneless. Also making veggy burgers to go with it from mung beans which iv not made before from mung beans so i hope it works out. I like experimenting :)

My fast day hasn't worked again as i ate some pasta for lunch with the kids. But at least iv not had anything sweet and i think im still under 1000 calories anyway so i am eating less and thats the main thing when you're on any diet isn't it? :)
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello

I lurk mostly! Don't spend much time on the net. I saw the Horizon programme with the 5:2 fast. I thought it had to be two consecutive days. I worry about feeling light headed and rubbish when I have small people to run round after so haven't tried it. Seeing this thread inspired me to weigh myself and I got a nasty shock - 12stone1lb. I blame my husband, I was only 9stone when I said 'I do' and I was 10 years younger. Bad man has aged me too! Seriously I feel fat BMI is >27 so today I am trying to eat less cake, pudding and other naughties. Good luck fellow fat fighters.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just to encourage you Juzamum - I did my first fast yesterday. Kept busy and didn't feel too bad at all. Was only a bit ratty with the OH as he was late home from work. I was waiting for him and WAS STARVING!

No breakfast or lunch just a light 500 cal-ish dinner of mushroom rissotto (light on cheese!) and salad.

Reading matey's book, you can have a light breakfast, lunch or dinner - provided you stick to 500 cals (600 for men).

Susie

demi wrote:I'v not been doing well, i keep eating too much when im trying to fast then it all goes out the window.
Demi, I really don't want this to come across as mean or unhelpful, but: you've said in past threads you've got a history of eating disorders which I can't remember if you said you'd recovered from. Wouldn't it be better to stay away from fasting?

I'm sorry to bring that up because obviously what you eat is no-one else's business, but I do feel a bit as if this thread ends up enabling something problematic, and that makes me uncomfortable.

:( really sorry to be party pooper, going away now.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

citizentwiglet

demi wrote:
citizentwiglet wrote:Just out of interest, Demi, why do you want to lose weight when you are only 8 stone?
8st 2lbs this morning. But i am short, only 5ft 1, if i was taller i'd be thinner. I'v had 2 kids and my stomach still sticks out. I'v got fat on me, if you saw me you would see.
8st 2 is actually borderline underweight for someone who is 5ft 1. If your stomach sticks out after having children, that is an exercise issue and NOT a dieting issue. You probably don't have much fat, not if your BMI is as low as you claim it is. What you probably have is muscle that needs toning.

I'm actually with Susie on this, it makes me feel very uncomfortable. Do you know what Weight Watchers or Slimming World would do if you rocked up to one of their classes? They would NOT LET YOU JOIN. And probably suggest you see a nutritionist. I strongly recommend forgetting the fasting idea, and think more about some toning exercises. Pilates is very good for flattening stomach muscles. And yes, I have had eating disorders in my past, too.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

demi

Yes iv been refused at weight watchers before but i assure you i am not borderline underweight. I am within the healthy weight range and i was actually over weight when my son was born and even more so when my daughter was born but lost most of the weight after wards. I was 7 st before i was married, although that was due to taking too much speed and not eating for days on end which i was doing intentionally to keep my weight down as well as for fun.
I was seeing a psychologist a few years ago while we were in Scotland and i'v been much better since then. I stopped counting calories and keeping track of absolutely everything i eat and try my best not to think about it too much, although i have never gave up weighing my self multiple times a day to keep track of how what im eating is effecting my weight. I also haven't been fasting in a long time and i have been considering wither its a good idea or not. Now im thinking i shouldn't have bought that book.........

Anyway, my BMI is 21. 5. Underweight is less than 18.5 For me to be underweight i'd have to be less than 6st 5lbs. Im a long way off that. I want to have a BMI of 20, thats ideal body weight and for me that will be 7st 8lbs, 6lbs less than i am just now. I don't think that is an unrealistic or unhealthy weight.

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

boboff

Well I am glad you lovely people have brought this up.

I worry about you dieting Demi too.

However if you are happy, and it's only 6lb you are looking to loose then fine, but I would seriously chuck the scales out.

But then it's no ones business but your own, but that doesn't stop me reading and thinking that it's not a positive thing.

With kids exercise can be really hard, but I think as has been suggested that would be a healthier way to go for you???

Sorry to stick my nose in, it is well intentioned I assure you.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Haven't commented on demi's weight as it is nobody's business but her own..but that doesn't mean I'm not concerned. Take it easy - it is hard work looking after littlies and you need your energy. Stay away from the scales!

In my trawls around the internet looking at the 5:2 for my own curiosity, I've read stuff that frankly scares me. Misinformation about the fasting approach does seem to draw in those with eating disorders and I've seen some whacky stuff. People with a problem seem to be latching on to the denial aspect of this way of eating and using it to justify their need to starve themselves. Won't be long until the Daily Wail is shouting about this :roll:

prison break fan

I too am a little concerned about Demi, but I think it is really good that she feels she can tell us about her problems with her weight and her diet. pbf.

The Riff-Raff Element

My apologies for bringing up this approach to weight loss. I didn't appreciate how damaging it could be; my experience of eating disorders is limited. I shan't be posting anything further on the subject. Perhaps the nutritionists who were quick to condemn the 5:2 diet had a point after all.

boboff

Riff Raff, I don't think you have got the hump, but please don't. For us "Lardy Bums" who haven't heard of it, your positive comments and simplification, and detailing the research were all absolutely excellent stuff.

What we put in our mouths is *cough, very personal, and a choice we all have to make. Different diets suits different people.

For every Diet ever published there are always going to be some "haters" Be it Pills, Atkins, Cambridge, Low Carb, etc etc, I have tried them all, and they all have issues, and I still like Cider and cake, so I am Fat. Some of us look at a BMI of <30 as a goal! Your approach seems spot on for this group! Maybe not someone who has had previous eating problems which involved starving themselves, but then again whose to say!

I think this sort of debate comes out most years, and Al has to state something like "this is only intended for me to do as my choice not a recommendation for you to starve yourself to death" or some such.

Thank you for your input, it is, and will hopefully continue to be, Excellent.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree and hope you haven't "flounced" :iconbiggrin:

Don't stop posting on this topic Jon. I've enjoyed reading your posts on the subject and it would be a shame if we didn't hear more about your experiences of 5:2.

One of the things I like about this forum is that we are all grown-ups. Even the bolshy grumps are nice and apologise for being bolshy and grumpy :wink:

The Riff-Raff Element

Be assured that I'm not flouncing and I am without hump. I'm just a bit concerned about possibly encouraging damaging behaviour. I think the 5:2 approach is a damn good one (79,9kg & descending :mrgreen: and feeling zippy), but I'm ashamed to admit that I hadn't considered the possible pitfalls.

demi

Please don't stop posting because of me, that certainly wasn't my intentions. And thank you everyone for you're concerns, i don't speak to other people so openly about my eating issues but feel i can here because i don't actually know any of you in real life. :iconbiggrin:
There is no way i can live without my scales though. I have become more relaxed about other things like counting calories but if i can't check my weight i feel completely out of control. I didn't have working scales for a few months and my weight shot right up because there was nothing to tell me how what i was eating was effecting me. Scales are more accurate as well. Clothes stretch out after you've been wearing them for a while so thats not such a good way to keep track, also i don't trust just looking in the mirror because the mirrors can bend like the ones at the carnivals and make you seem fatter or thinner than you actually are. And the same thing happens when you take pictures of yourself, the camera is supposed to add 10lbs FACT :shock: ( that was supposed to be sarcastic ) but the pictures are wide screen or whatever so it alters the real image. So i need my scales and can't give them up. No scales = weight gain.

I am regretting buying that book now though. :( but i guess it was only a fiver, well just over. I don't usually buy into fad diets. Only diet book iv ever bought is the Paul Makenna one 'I can make you thin' he never made me thin though, only speed made me thin. :lol:

Anyway, thanks guys for you're concerns :grouphug: I assure you i'm alright and you can continue dieting and talking about it however you like. I'm a big girl and i make my own decisions and if i really wanted to F**k myself up more i'd just go on those pro ana forums and talk to all the school girls about how much i hate myself and how im going end it all because no one notices me. Thats probably not something to make jokes about but everything can seem so dramatic to a teenager it's border line amusing, and very worrying at the same time. But i don't want to make myself worse, im really sick of it and would love to get rid of the constant battle in my head over food, it's very tiring as it's been going on for well over 10 years now and if i could get rid of it completely i would. Thats why i was seeing the psychologist, i don't want to think like this in my head, i just want to no have to think about food, eat normally and maintain a healthy weight and be happy with myself and not constantly self conscious about all my lumpy bits. It's shallow i know, but when i feel good about myself it makes me happy and confident and thats how i want to feel all the time. Sometimes if im not feeling good if we have to go out with friends or whatever, i'll take ages trying on different clothes and not find anything that looks good and it effects me to the point where i will refuse to go out. It really frustrates me especially because i'll have an outfit that i like the most and i'v felt good in before but at the time i think it looks terrible and i just can't fit it with anything else to make it acceptable.

Ah, im babbling. I'll stop now. Thanks again though people, and i appreciate your concern.